Subscriber Discussion

How To Link Cameras At 8 Separate Locations To A Single VMS?

JP
Josh Penn
Jun 08, 2017
Automated Controls

Thanks in advance for any help on this topic. 

I have a project I'm bidding, it is a community that is going to be installing gates and cameras on 8 separate entrances. Each entrance will have it's own router and I need to have all the cameras linked together so I can use one NVR or VMS solution. Would a VPN be the best way to do this having 8 different routers.

We will have a plate camera and an overview camera at each location so 16 cameras total. 

Brian Rhodes
Jun 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Do clarify, are you looking for the best way to connect the cameras to the NVR/VMS or to give remote access (ie: internet) access to the cameras individually?

DS
David Shepherd
Jun 09, 2017

A VPN would no doubt be the best, and most secure solution to do this. Setting up port forwarding at each site (assuming each site has a static IP or dynamic DNS set up) would also work, though obviously would be much less secure.

Joe Mirolli
Jun 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

A vpn would be ideal, but if your going to open up your NVR to the public anyway, why bother.  Just port forward. Sounds like with 8 communities you may have multiple users wanting access, I doubt they will want to fire up a vpn just for cameras and gates every time they want to check in. Plus management on multiple mobile device vpn profiles is a pain and service nightmare.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions