Subscriber Discussion

Mounting NVR/DVR In Small Closets.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 09, 2016

I'm quoting a residential job and the customer would like the NVR in a kitchen pantry.  It's a small pantry with limited wall space and a power outlet on a wall that is not near any shelving. I can't put any shelving on the wall with the power outlet as it would impede access to the other pantry shelving.  I'm considering using a product I found that allows the NVR/DVR to mount in a low profile position, sideways, hugging the wall near the power outlet.  I'm wonder if anyone has tried these mounts?  If so, are there any issues with the mounting the NVR/DVR in this position? 

It's made by HiDEit Mounts, Uni-LS Adjustible Electronic Component Wall Mount, $64.99 on Amazon.

Brian Karas
Aug 09, 2016
IPVM

You could also go the route of the Speco hidden recorder, and mount the components in an alarm panel cabinet. Many NVR's these days have a system board that is very small, it would not take a very large can to contain the recorder guts and a hard drive. Of course this is likely to void the warranty of the unit, so if you are not comfortable building this it may not be worth the risks.

I have seen NVR's mounted in a wall-hugging setup like that many times in the past, I can not imagine a reason why it would cause a problem. Follow basic guidelines like making sure the unit gets airflow and it should last just as long as a shelf install.

UI
Aug 09, 2016

Thanks for the response Brian.

I prefer to use Hikvision DS-7700 Series 16 Channel with full 16 POE and their imbedded VMS. I see the Speco Wall Mount Recorders, specifically the 16 Ch, is only 8 POE, so a POE switch would be needed should the camera count exceed 8. Also, the warranty is important to me. I think this type of bracket would allow me to install the NVR without disturbing their pantry.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 10, 2016

I don't see any problem mounting the NVR hugging the wall. You can skip that mount and just use the rack ears (that it comes with) to mount it directly to the wall studs (or use a plywood backboard)

UI
Aug 10, 2016

U2, good point to use the rack ears, I'll consider that too.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions