Subscriber Discussion

Mounting An Axis A8105-E Over A Single Gang Box?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Apr 09, 2018

We have a retrofit installation where an Axis A8105-E will be placed over an existing, recessed single-gang box where there was previously a wall phone.   The A8105-E form factor was clearly meant to be able to fit on a mullion and there is also a recessed mounting bracket available but.. nothing factory that I see that will make a "clean" install over top of a single-gang box which is kind of surprising given how common ( I would have thought) that would be.  The best I can come up with thus far is mounting on top of a blank plate on the single-gang box which doesn't do the aesthetics justice so to speak.  Anyone done anything else with these?

Sean Patton
Apr 09, 2018

I've seen more than a few dozen of those installed, and I am not aware of a cleaner way/adapter bracket for the 8105-E, other than a single gang box cover drilled out.

There is nothing in their documentation from what I can see either.

Ethan Ace
Apr 09, 2018

What is the wall material?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Apr 09, 2018

The two current single-gang/recessed use cases we have are: Sheetrock on stud wall (interior vestibule) and one on brick (external).  

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 09, 2018

Nothing that I've seen out of the box but maybe these can work for you? They are listed as 6.38in high.

Extra large oversized blank wall plate covers 

Let us know how you make out, or if you find something better!

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Apr 09, 2018

I like the XXL plate concept.  I think that would look way better than a regular sized plate or even a standard oversized plate where it had to hang over the edges.  Your mention of "make" is spot on to where I was thinking.  I think Axis missed the boat a little by not having a nice mount/bracket to do this even if I have to buy it separate like the flush mount one.  That said... always looking for a reason to get that new 3D printer...

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 09, 2018

I'm with you on the 3D printer ;) I do love the A-8105E though, I find that it has so much flexibility and really works nicely for what I've used them for so far.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions