Subscriber Discussion

What Products Support Creating Motion Detection Zones, On The Fly, In Live View?

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
May 14, 2018

Anybody knows a product that allows the operator to create a motion detection zone in live view without going into a configuration page?

Customer wants to receive a popup or alarm on changing zones of interest.

Thanks for any help,

Paul

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
May 14, 2018

Hi Paul,

1) when you say live view and not configuration page does it mean on the browser where the operator sees the feed?

2) does the customer wants to receive notifications on the new zones being created or when motion is triggered in the new zones?

UD
May 14, 2018

Hi,

1) yes that would be in the browser or client.

2) he wants to receive a notification when motion is triggered.

Thank you.

UM
May 14, 2018

one more question. are these analytics/motion detection inbuilt into the camera or part of vms.

UD
May 14, 2018

that should be on the VMS side, can't imagine doing it on the edge without logging into the camera.

UD
May 14, 2018

If not on the VMS, we could work with a second stream from the camera in a separate application.

UM
May 14, 2018

So this is what i understand and let me know if its correct. The stream would be tied to a vms where the operator / user would have the option to configure the analytics on the browser for zone intrusion etc without having to change any configuration of the camera. Anytime intrusion happens in the zone customer needs to be notified. if this is the requirement yes it can be done.

UD
May 14, 2018

You are right, but they don't want to be forced to go to any configuration at all, just let's say right click, define a zone and that's it. This is something they are used to from their former system, Geutebrück.

Luis Carmona
May 21, 2018
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Only if you wish to answer without getting too sidetracked, why are they leaving Geutebruck if it offers this feature they like?

UD
May 22, 2018

Hi Louis, it's a choice, their new system, Milestone offers them other possibilities. No bad word about Geutebrück.

(1)
UM
May 14, 2018

sure that can be done and i would like you contact one of IPVM administrators so that they can connect us for further discussion.

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 14, 2018
IPVM

Just tell them your company name and explain how it's done, it's not a secret, right?

(1)
UM
May 15, 2018

John,  As Jay mentioned i was trying to avoid any non solicit rules from past experiences.

Full Disclosure i represent Duranc and platform provides interface to define analytics on the UI (live feed) without having to make any changes to camera configuration.

Below is a sample screenshot of UI interface.

Creating a Zone on Live Feed

I can be reached at vms.sales@duranc.com and to discuss further.

Thanks,

Suresh

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
May 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I think UM2 may be trying to avoid any non solicit rules but I believe if a user asks for a specific solution, it is appropriate and encouraged for the vendor to offer the solution and offer their product service.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #3
May 15, 2018

Can someone explain to me why an operator needs to be dictating motion zones from a client?

A fixed camera can be set up with multiple zones in the Admin console... why would an operator need to create additional zones 'on the fly'?

This is a serious question - please educate me.

Luis Carmona
May 21, 2018

One example is if you want to be alerted if someone walks through a certain door at a certain time, but not all the time. Letting an operator draw a motion box at will gives them the flexibility to alert on motion when only needed and not all the time.

U
Undisclosed #3
May 22, 2018

"you want to be alerted if someone walks through a certain door at a certain time, but not all the time."

Scheduled alerting (which almost all VMS's can do) handles this 'problem'.

"Letting an operator draw a motion box at will gives them the flexibility to alert on motion when only needed and not all the time."

Personally, I prefer to provide administrators the ability to control their own systems and let these administrators define their own security parameters - and not let the operators do so.

I am not attacking Luis - whose comments I generally agree with.

I am, instead, asking why operators need to be able to configure motion zones, instead of administrators of these systems?

(1)
Luis Carmona
May 22, 2018

True you can do schedules to activate motion alerts, but sometimes they want to get alerts only as needed. Having a schedule doesn't give you a choice without the admin having to go in and change it again. 

We have a school and a municipal customer who do this for those reasons. 

(1)
(1)
Brian Karas
May 22, 2018
Pelican Zero

I am, instead, asking why operators need to be able to configure motion zones, instead of administrators of these systems?

This is a common request for facilities with operators doing a lot of live monitoring. Some of the reasons I have heard for similar requests:

Facility is short-staffed for a shift and they want to define motion areas for alerts on doors/areas that are unlikely to have issues, but at the same time want to be sure they don't miss that once-a-year kind of event that always seems to happen when someone calls in sick.

Security group is doing some kind of a bait car/laptop/wallet operation, for whatever reason, and the operators want to define motion alert zones around the bait item, which is being moved at various times.

Some series of previous events (eg: vehicle in lot looks to be abandoned) has caused operators to be interested in a particular car in the lot, entry/exit door, or other item that is generally not of high interest and they want to get an alert on motion in that around or around that object

Vehicle appears to be illegally parked (eg: odd vehicle in a VP parking space) and they want to know when someone approaches it so they can send mobile officer or initiate some other response vs. just ticketing vehicle.

Parade or other event happening with a moving group, operators want to define motion zones to pop up live video so they can follow parade as it progresses around area/campus/etc.

(1)
(1)
UD
May 15, 2018

@ U3 : I suppose they are used to this functionality which helps them observe area's they cannot predefine, where suspicious events are taking place, it is a shopping mall and they have to monitor 400 cameras. 

@ UM2: thanks, I forwarded your contact info to the integrator.

UM
May 15, 2018

thanks and let me know if anything else is needed.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions