Subscriber Discussion

Milestone Vs Exacq For Client Alerting Needs

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 05, 2017

New client with immediate need for 17 camera security solution.  The kitchen staff need ability to be notified when someone enters the club and is standing in front lobby. (They have a rule about greeting members within 10 seconds of them coming into the club).

Using all Axis Cameras. Trying to decide between Exacq and Milestone. 

1 outside camera will cover the entrance to front door capturing anyone walking toward the front door.

1 inside camera will cover the front door and immediate lobby

The Kitchen staff will have 2 large monitors displaying the front lobby camera. These monitors will be connected via HDMI to a PC running client software. (probably use a video splitter to mirror the displays).

I need an audible alert to sound in the kitchen when the following cameras detect motion in this order

Camera 1 (outside) detects motion of someone approaching.

Camera 2 (inside) detects motion of front door opening within 2 seconds of first camera. 

I could put a sensor on the door to trigger an alert but client only wants to be notified if someone is coming into the club, not exiting.  Client understands that some false alarms may occur if people are exiting and entering at the same time. 

The Office and General managers also monitor the front lobby and need to be notified. Can Milestone push alerts to PC Desktop clients who may be running the software minimized or behind another screen? Something much more subdued like a soft audible alert and/or system tray pop up alert? She does not want the software to pop in front of her work every time there is motion in the lobby. She currently has 2 monitors on her PC and uses both extensively for work. I could probably put a 3rd and mount it on the wall but she doesn't have a lot of room to work with. 

Thank you in advance!

Josh Hendricks
Mar 05, 2017
Milestone Systems

It will be a bit challenging to make Milestone only generate an alert if motion is detected indoors within 2 seconds of an outdoor motion detection. I would aim to use cross-line detection on the indoor camera instead. There should be far fewer false positives going that route, and would be easier to configure. I assume most Axis cameras can do this but admittedly I haven't tried so I don't know if you'd need to install a plugin on the camera first.

With regards to notifications, you can use your triggering event to generate an alarm, and Smart Client can play a sound when an alarm is received. There will be no pop-up, so as long as Smart Client is running in the background, minimized, the owner should hear the alarm and it should be fairly unobtrusive.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 05, 2017

Axis Perimeter Defender analytic is supported by Milestone.

I don't know exactly how well it would work in a small, crowded environment, but it seems to be your best bet other than trying to use straight motion detection, which I can't imagine would produce much actionable information in most cases.

(4)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 06, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I installed the trial on a test machine and agree that using the Perimeter Defender on one camera should work well enough. 

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions