Subscriber Discussion

Milestone - Bosch, Weak Integration? (Edge Playback And "IVA" Question)

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 15, 2017

Perhaps my configuration is "weak".

Hello IPVM and members,

To alleviate XProtect's inability to utilize Bosch's "Forensic Search", I would like to use iSCSI (or VRM) as the primary recording medium with XProtect Professional+; however, I cannot get XProtect to retrieve edge recordings from a microSD card - let alone iSCSI.  In this scenario, I would fall-back to a Bosch video client for analytic searches.

I am willing to read any technical document, knowledge base article or forum post, but I cannot find noteworthy information about setting up XProtect to utilize Bosch's edge storage capabilities via SD card or iSCSI.

Albeit an earlier firmware and device pack, but Milestone's support page for this device states:

Additional comments
Edge Storage supported through SD-card and iSCSI. In order to reach 5fps on JPEG, Video stream 2 must be "Copy other stream". In order to set 1920x1080 for JPEG, set Video stream 1 to H.264 MP 1080p property and then switch to JPEG.

The XProtect version I am testing is XProtect Expert 2017 R2 with Device Pack 9.1.108 ("Bosch 1-channel device") -- running in VMware Workstation 12.5.6.

The tested camera is a FLEXIDOME IP 7000 RD (NDN-832); firmware version 6.32.0111 (11510632). 

The configuration for this device was done in Bosch's Configuration Manager and the camera's webpage.  Bosch Video Recording Manager or Bosch Video Management System was never utilized or connected to this camera during this process.  The camera was set to factory defaults, time server set to mirror the XProtect's server's SNTP settings, provisioned the SD card on the cam's webpage, and enabled recording in Bosch Configuration Manager.

As edge storage is continuously recording on the camera, I disconnect the VM's network adapter and reconnect it after approximately five minutes.  When the virtual adapter is reconnected, the camera is instantly restored in the Live tab of Smart Client and recording proceeds again to the recording server's local disk.  XProtect will not retrieve recordings that are available on the microSD card (automatically via rules or manually with Time Selection Mode); the retrieval job status is "completed", but edge recordings are not populated in the timeline or available to replay.

I can retrieve the SD card and iSCSI footage from the device's webpage and Bosch viewing clients.  Repeating the same procedure, I can successfully retrieve video from a G6 Sony PTZ (SNC-WR632) with firmware 2.7.3.

Does anyone have experience using Milestone XProtect with Bosch cameras recording to iSCSI (or VRM)?

Josh Hendricks
Jun 15, 2017
Milestone Systems

It looks like you did your homework! I can't see in your post that you've done anything wrong. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that some cameras require that you specify in the Management Client whether edge recording is event based or continuous. Reason being is on some cameras it determines which method is used to retrieve video from the camera. This setting is either in the camera or hardware properties within Management Client and doesn't necessarily exist for every camera. If it's there, try toggling it.

There is a log file that might give you some hint at C:\ProgramData\Milestone\XProtect Recording Server\Logs\ with the word "Edge" in the name. I'm on my mobile and I don't recall exactly.

If you haven't already opened a case with us, this may warrant it as it's close to Wireshark time to understand why a supported feature isn't working.

(3)
Josh Hendricks
Jun 15, 2017
Milestone Systems

While this won't have anything to do with this issue, I just wanted to mention that for automatic retrieval after a camera connection is restored, you don't need any rules. Just tick the check box at the bottom of the record tab for the camera in Management Client. The check box is named "Automatically retrieve remote recordings when connection is restored".

Obviously this doesn't resolve the issue since manually forcing a retrieval from Smart Client is not working.

One other thought I had was Windows Firewall. It might be for this camera that the retrieval is streamed over UDP while you're live stream might be TCP. I have seen that particular behavior before. And I have seen Windows Firewall block inbound UDP streams even when disabled. So you might try adding a rule in the advanced firewall settings allowing all inbound UDP traffic from the camera (typically on port 554). For testing purposes, it makes sense to make the rule broad (all ports from the camera's IP) and if that's the issue, tighten it up afterwards.

(1)
Josh Hendricks
Jun 15, 2017
Milestone Systems

Hi U1, are you still having issues getting this working? If so, feel free to reach out to me. John will share with you my contact details (john@ipvm.com)

Whatever the issue is, I'll make sure the resolution is here for future searches and of course update our own documentation as needed.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 16, 2017

Thanks Joshua,

I tested another Bosch camera (Autodome) and success was sporadic with both devices (the aforementioned Flexidome) via iSCSI and SD card.  Matter of fact, I had this working with the devices tied to VRM.

I will likely follow up next week; I am going to move XProtect to a physical machine.

Brad Eck
Jun 16, 2017
U1, both Milestone and Bosch can provide appropriate support as needed. Edge storage is integrated and viable while VRM is not at this point. As Joshua mentioned, reach out to him or email NAM.IPP@de.bosch.com and we will help you get things addressed. If you have any problems you can reach out to me directly as well.
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions