Subscriber Discussion

Milestone Spot Monitor?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Client has a DVR now that seems to have a spot monitor output. They say the image on the 4 screens (VGA splitter) does not change when they change the screen at the DVR. Does any version of Milestone offer that?

Or would it be OK to open a client on the server and have the client run on the 2nd screen like a spot monitor? Or do I need a dedicated client to run the client?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 06, 2017
IPVM

Does any version of Milestone offer that?

Are you talking about Milestone XProtect software version or Milestone's Husky NVR Appliances?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

answer a question with a question eh? :)

Good question,  originally was thinking a server with software but maybe the Husky is a good option?

The current system is 7 analog cameras on a Bosch DVR. They want to add around 6 cameras at the gates, so that is IP. I am advising them they might as well replace everything, so they do not have 2 systems or spend money on encoders etc. We could put a Dahua Tribrid in but are trying to put more Milestone systems in. Plus this is a high-end brand name and I think SPSSS is too clunky for them. In addition, I think the browser-based client with no plugins will be key.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 06, 2017
IPVM

I only know enough here to ask questions!

But let's see what the Milestone folks say about using Husky here. Traditionally, appliances are built for that type of use case but not sure how the Husky models work.

Related, here is their product page for their entry-level M20.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 07, 2017
IPVM

Btw, just remembered this: Milestone 'Smart' Spot Monitor. Not sure where the product is at today.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Dec 07, 2017

[Milestone Employee]

XProtect 2017 R3 includes a feature that supports DLNA which means you can stream live camera(s) to devices such as Smart TV's Roku's, Chromesticks, etc..

I tried it with a Roku and it works fine, but so far I think it is just one camera full screen. It may have more capabilities, but I have not explored it fully yet.

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We only need one camera to be streamed. Will this work with a regular monitor, not a smart TV?

They just want the live view of the front desk distributed to 4 monitors

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Dec 09, 2017

Jay,

Yes this can work with any monitor, either because the monitor is DLNA-capable itself; or you use a small DLNA device such as a Roku, Chromecast, or other streaming stick/device that is DLNA-capable and plug it into the monitor via HMDI, composite, USB, or other. If a monitor has an Ethernet jack on it, its a good chance it is DLNA-capable.

Since it is so easy to set up and test, I recommend doing that to see how it works.

Here's some info for you:

Prerequisites:

• XProtect Version 2017 R3 (and later)- Express+, Professional+, Expert, or Corporate.

• Both the DLNA Server and the DNLA Receiver need to be on the SAME network.

Links:

See the instructions by clicking here

Get the DLNA Server installer software here

Roku's and other devices:

The Roku is the only device I tested. I used the "Roku Media Player" channel and it detected the cameras I set up in Milestone right away. Each camera showed up as a folder, and inside the folder were the streams available for each camera. I chose a stream and hit play, and it just played. Frame rate was great, and the image was excellent.

I was able to play streams of any size, up to 1080p but not over. My Roku is a 1080p Roku so that makes sense. If you need to play larger streams, Roku does make a 4K device. For cameras larger than what the DLNA device can handle, I would think setting up a second stream in Milestone as 1080p (or whatever size your device can handle) would do the trick. 

I personally think this is really cool and very helpful for solving simple Public View Monitor requirements It's also a cool way to view my home cameras on my Roku as well.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks. I guess I am looking for a simpler solution. The existing monitors are VGA, and there is a 4 way VGA splitter. I just want to come off the servers VGA port to the splitter. I wonder if I can just run the client on the server, and live view the one camera. My concern was running the client on the server and slowing down the server.

Mike Dotson
Dec 20, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

Jay, your concern about running the client on the server is a valid one.   It does happen as you describe for H264/265 streams.

A suggestion would be to pull a MJPEG stream from the camera which is a very light CPU load at the expense of a larger network load.

Milestone lets you define this sort of thing...record with high res-h264 and live view a completely different channel from the camera...hus allowing the MJPEG call.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions