Subscriber Discussion

Milestone Smart Client Not Receiving Alarms

JS
Jay Shorey
Mar 12, 2018

Has anyone had problems with Milestone Pro Plus 2017 R2 not receiving alarms? Milestone mobile is getting the alarms to the phone but smart client will not show any alarms/ events. All ports are open on the router. Milestone have looked at this twice now but have had no luck at the moment.

Also Smart Client will not login locally on the server, which is very strange but will login if you use the external address and a windows login....

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks

AB
Alexander Bakke
Mar 12, 2018

Can you view maps on the impacted Smart Client?

If not, have a look at this: SmartClient user can neither see maps nor alarms

(1)
Josh Hendricks
Mar 12, 2018
Milestone Systems

Thanks for linking that KB Alexander. I'll have to recommend some updates to it as there are a number of issues, though the general theme of the KB is correct/useful. It's pretty rare that this KB actually applies to an issue like this but it obviously has happened at least once!

Most commonly this is an issue of missing port forwarding rules (please use a VPN whenever possible instead), or the Event Server entry in Management Client -> Tools -> Registered Services does not have an external address entry.

@Jay Shorey, this is definitely solvable and I'm a little surprised our frontline support team didn't resolve it for you. If you don't get it resolved with tips from this thread, is it okay if I reach out to you tomorrow?

Josh Hendricks
Mar 12, 2018
Milestone Systems

I've sent a heads up to the support manager for your region Jay. It seems your new case today was reported to the internal channel manager in the UK rather than our support team? I suspect you should get a response tomorrow.

(2)
Josh Hendricks
Mar 13, 2018
Milestone Systems

For the benefit of future IPVM searches, it appears this was resolved after adding the external address of the Event Server to the Registered Services entry in Management Client.

What happens is that the Smart Client logs in, and after authentication, the user receives the configuration required to display cameras/views/etc. The Event Server component of the software typically lives on the Management Server, and it handles alarms, maps, and other integrations like LPR, Transact, Access Control some 3rd party plugins etc. The Smart Client receives a list of registered services which are additional components that the Smart Client might need to talk to, and those can be found listed in the Management Client under Tools -> Registered Services.

If the Event Server entry only has a LAN address/hostname and the Smart Client is connecting remotely, it most likely will not be able to resolve or reach that address. So by adding an external address/port to the Event Server's registered service entry, the Smart Client will receive a more appropriate address to connect to for events/alarms/etc.

(4)
JS
Jay Shorey
Mar 14, 2018

Thank Joshua for your help.

Also for some reason we had to change the recording server host name as this had been edited... This was the main problem.This was done using recorderconfigmanager.exe

Still having problems with Smart Client not working local on the server. This is not a big problem but I am checking why this would be.

Josh Hendricks
Mar 14, 2018
Milestone Systems

It sounds like maybe it was recommended that you change the default behavior of the Recording Server reporting it's hostname as an address for clients to connect to. The default is to use the hostname or FQDN if joined to a domain, but in networks without Active Directory / DNS or reliable NBNS, it can be necessary to either edit host files on all client machines to resolve the hostnames (not recommended in production systems) or tell the Recording Server to report an IP address instead of a hostname for the address Smart Clients should connect to for video.

The Recorder Config Manager tool is a small tool I made a while back to make it easier to modify some settings that are commonly touched in the progress of a support case, but not used often enough to warrant having a native UI field somewhere to modify it. It touches C:\ProgramData\Milestone\XProtect Recording Server\RecorderConfig.xml, and creates a backup of the original xml file in the same folder just in case.

If you are still having trouble with Smart Client on the server I'm sure our support team can point you in the right direction. If you can facilitate a remote session with them, I suspect it should be cleared up in short order.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions