Subscriber Discussion

Milestone Smart Client 2017 R3 & R2 Slowing Down Broadband Speed

JS
Jay Shorey
Oct 22, 2017

Has anyone had a problem with Milestone Smart Client 2017 R3 & R2 slowing down broadband speed?

I have a site running Milestone Pro + R2 (56 Cameras) I have two Client PC running Smart Client 2017 R3 which is displayed on the customers TV around his home. When Smart Client is running on just one of the client PC the Broadband Speed drops from 97mbps to 40 ish mbps. The site has 100 up and 100 down on fibre.

As soon as I turn off Smart Client the speed jumps back up. If I let the client PC run for more than a day the speed drops down below 10mbps up and down. I have installed R2 to check this and it is also doing the same.

The stream to the TVs is on a different local network. I am displaying 8 cameras on each of the client PCs. I am only using the local LAN, so no going to the outside world. 

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

JS
Jay Shorey
Oct 22, 2017

I am thinking could it some how be the router that is getting hit hard.....

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

So two routers? One between the LANs and one to the Internet? Or?

Josh Hendricks
Oct 23, 2017
Milestone Systems

I would recommend triple checking that your network and software configuration is not resulting in live viewing traffic going through your customers WAN IP address. To be extra thorough, you might consider doing a short Wireshark packet capture on the client PC if everything else seems okay.

The network setup is unclear from the initial description but definitely make sure you're not measuring bandwidth speed while connected to WiFi, especially if the client PC is using WiFi as well.

You might give us a call on this one - I'm interested to hear what the cause is, and it could be a good learning opportunity all around.

(1)
JS
Jay Shorey
Oct 24, 2017

Thanks Josh. Drop me a line when you have time.

Kind regard

Jay

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions