Subscriber Discussion

Milestone Server - Single Installation

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 08, 2018

Hi all,

We have a small installation of 42 cameras. Usually our installations are bigger and we separate the management server from the recording server. However, due to the small installation, we want to do a single installation and install everything on the same server.

However, I don't see this option on the Milestone server calculator, and now we are not sure which hardware to use. 

I know it should not be too demanding, as it only 42 cameras at 4CIF. Milestone calculator says we should use Xeon E5-2603 V4 for the recording server, and we wonder if the addition of the Management server in the same box will require us to change the hardware.

Any advice from your experience will be greatly appreciated.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 08, 2018

In the Calculator - Server Tab - Under Server Information, the default selection is Server, but if you pull this down you will see Desktop PC.

Selecting Desktop PC and say 50 cameras max per server the recommendation will be

Intel Core i3-7100 -  16 GB RAM -  2 Gigabit NICs -  Windows 10 x64 (Pro or Higher)

A Huskey M50 that will support up to 128 cameras uses an i7-3610QE 2.3Ghz

A M20 supporting up to 32 cameras uses - Skylake i3-6100

Leaving the default at Server appears to imply that Server Level Horsepower is required.  Unless you are planning for future expansion, I don't think you need it.

BTW Dell R230's can be configured with i3 processors.

(1)
UI
Jan 08, 2018

Thank you for your reply.

I checked now and got the same results as you wrote, however the calculator still specify a separate management server with E5-2603V4, and we wish to do a single server installation.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 09, 2018

You can run the management server alongside the recording server and mobile server.  It’s a good practice to keep them separate but there is no need unless you are using failover.

Jared Tarter
Jan 09, 2018
Milestone Systems

Hi UI1,

On that size system, you can just use the specs for the Recording Server and load the Management Server in the same machine.  I would just add an extra 4GB of RAM to play it safe.

UI
Jan 10, 2018

Thank you for your answer, Jared.

So If I understand correctly, we can use the I3-7100 in computer form, or the E5-2603V4 in a server form, and just add additional 4GB to it? so instead of 8GB, we will use 12GB?

Thank you in advance.

YV
Yoeri Valkenborghs
Jan 13, 2018

Personally I would choose for at least an i5 proc (mentioned below)or an e3 and instead of 12 GB ram, take 16GB because it is balanced then.

UI
Jan 12, 2018

Hi Jared, I will be very happy if you can confirm that I understood your answer properly. I don't want to make any mistakes :)

Jared Tarter
Jan 12, 2018
Milestone Systems

Hi UI1,

Sorry about the delayed response.  I did a quick check on 42 cameras at 1080p and 10fps (I'm not sure what you are running).  I can look on the back-end and see that even though the i3-7100 covers it, there isn't a lot of overhead.  Because of that, I would bump the processor up to the next level which would be the i5-7500.  The 12GB of RAM will be sufficient.

(1)
UI
Jan 14, 2018

Thank you for the reply,

And if we want to go on the rack mount option, so the  E5-2603V4 will for single installation?

Our cameras will be on 720P, 15FPS.

Best Regards,

Mike Dotson
Jan 09, 2018
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

All the comments so far are a-ok.   An additional thing to be aware of are those that can/will do stream decoding such as running the Client locally, Server side Motion Detection or the Mobile server being used.   Each will bump the CPU use.    If you have a system that supports the Intel QSYNC...you get a benefit there.

(1)
(2)
UI
Jan 14, 2018

Thank you Mike,

Usually, we go at least with E5-2620V4 for our servers, but for 120-150 cameras per server.

Here it is a really simple installation, and we don't want to over spec our equipment.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions