Subscriber Discussion

Milestone Releases Support For "Anixter" Cameras

Brian Karas
Jun 30, 2017
IPVM

Milestone's 9.2 software release announcement contained an update for newly supported devices, including these "Anixter" cameras:

Technically, these are not branded as "Anixter", but as "Northern Video". And of course, technically they're not Northern Video cameras, they are Hikvision cameras, as shown in our: Hikvision OEM Directory and in Anixter/Tri-Ed Northern Video Test.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 30, 2017

I have seen more and more of the Hikvision rebrands added.  Are they different enough to warrant their own line item on the camera compatibility list or is Milestone just padding the supported devices amount?

JH
John Honovich
Jun 30, 2017
IPVM

is Milestone just padding the supported devices amount?

I don't know what Milestone's intentions and I am assume they would say they are not 'padding'.

More importantly, I suspect integrators and users like to see specific models listed as being supported, even if it is the same underlying unit with a different label. The reason for that is that it provides more comfort / assurances that the integration will work.

Josh Hendricks
Jun 30, 2017
Milestone Systems

I suspect integrators and users like to see specific models listed as being supported, even if it is the same underlying unit with a different label.

That's it in a nutshell. I can see the argument behind calling it "padding", but I don't think customers/partners are all that impressed with 6000+ supported devices. I think what matters to them is whether or not the handful of cameras they want/have are specifically going to be supported.

With so many OEMs, it's really difficult to know what the "root model" is of any particular device. And even if the original model is known, compatibility is not guaranteed as the firmware is not always close enough to be detected/compatible with existing drivers.

By explicitly listing each make/model that has been tested by Milestone and/or the manufacturer, partners and customers can be assured that it should work.

(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions