Subscriber Discussion

Milestone Multicast Support

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Mar 16, 2016

Does Milestone support multicast from cameras directly? like Axis, Bosch etc... or is it done from the recording server level still?

AR
Austin Rich
Mar 17, 2016

Good question. I know that multicasting is supported on the higher tier products (expert, corporate). I do believe it still comes from the server. In fact, with the recommended Milestone architecture I do not see how it could be any other way. If the cameras are on one LAN/VLAN and the viewing workstations are on a separate LAN/VLAN with only the server "bridging" the two it seems to be that the server is pushing the video.

Tech support should be able to confirm. All of the knowledge base articles I can find confirm that it's pulled from the server.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Agree, expert and corporate allow server multicasting, no products support receiving multicast stream from cameras.

So, the recommended architecture from Milestone has cameras on an unreachable network from the rest of the LAN?

Others are supported, no?

AR
Austin Rich
Mar 17, 2016

Yes to the first question. I'm not sure what you mean by the second. If you're asking if other architectures are supported - absolutely, they are. I believe at this point nearly every manufacturer recommends separate LANs/VLANs for the camera network and another for clients. However, I have many deployments with only 1 LAN. No adverse affects as long as you account for bandwidth properly and leave some room for overhead.

I believe when you submit a server specification request to Milestone they respond back with the ideal network setup for your deployment.

U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I believe at this point nearly every manufacturer recommends separate LANs/VLANs for the camera network and another for clients.

I agree. I misunderstood your earlier statement to mean that the two networks were not only seperate but isolated and unreachable from each other.

But that is different of course than just seperate broadcast domains, for instance when you have two different LANs or VLANs that have a route to each other. And the router of course removes the "adverse bandwidth effects" that you mention.

So in the case of seperate but routable LANs multicasting from the camera would be feasible for Milestone, (if they chose to support it of course), thru the normal multi-cast router methods.

Genetec, for instance, supports both methods like this.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions