Subscriber Discussion

Milestone Expert 2017: How To Set-Up Continuous Recordings With External Events Flagged?

BE
Brian Elias
Feb 07, 2018

I have an XProtect Professional 2017 R3 installation where cameras are set to record continuously, and we're using TCP "generic events" to trigger XProtect to create a sequence and turn the time-line red when motion is detected (by camera-side motion detection or PIR).  The mobile app is also able to step through these marked events easily.  It works perfectly.

However, we now need to upgrade the system to XProtect Expert or above for multicast support.  I can't figure out how to get this same functionality on their corporate-based platforms (Expert, Pro+, etc.).  Generic events aren't supported.

There doesn't appear to be any other way to trigger a motion / sequence event during a continuous recording. Even if I do enable motion detection, only the _FIRST_ motion event correctly creates a sequence.  Subsequent events only mark the timeline, but no new sequence is created.  (Confirmed by Milestone)

Also, bookmarks won't work here because they can't be navigated by the mobile app (in other words, we can't jump between bookmarks as we can with sequences now).

We initially looked into this about a year ago (using XProtect 2017 R1) and I contacted Milestone support.  They were helpful but indicate this is "by design".  Unfortunately now it's a requirement to make the move for multicast so I need to figure out some solution.

I was hoping someone might have an idea for a work-around.  Thanks!

AB
Alexander Bakke
Feb 07, 2018

How is generic events not supported?

Generic events are listed as supported for all XProtect versions in the official comparison chart.

BE
Brian Elias
Feb 07, 2018

Sorry - bad phrasing on my part.

Generic events are supported, however they don't trigger a new sequence and/or time-line marker to be applied as they do in XProtect Professional. I believe the intent is to generate bookmarks in these "corporate-based" versions (Pro+, Expert, etc.), but it's a show-stopper here since the mobile app can't browse through the bookmarks.

Jared Tarter
Feb 08, 2018
Milestone Systems

Hi Brian,

I want to make sure I understand this:

"Even if I do enable motion detection, only the _FIRST_ motion event correctly creates a sequence. Subsequent events only mark the timeline, but no new sequence is created."

Can you clarify that?  Are you saying that if you are recording continuously but have motion detection enabled, then the timeline only shows the red the first time motion is triggered and never shows it again?  Are you doing server-side motion detection or camera based?

Any other details you can provide?

Thanks

BE
Brian Elias
Feb 08, 2018

Hi Jared,

Thanks for looking into this.  Yes - you are correct.  If I enable motion recording over continuous recording (server based), it only creates a single red-mark on the time-line for the FIRST motion detected.  Any motion even after this will not create a red-mark until the recorder service is restarted.

FYI, I don't have any need to use server-side motion detection (the goal here is for external TCP events to create the red-marks / sequences), but out of desperation I figured that I could make a clock appear on the video overlay --> trigger server-side motion --> create a sequence.  For a brief moment, I really patted myelf on the back for that one :-)

If it helps I have a Milestone ticket from around a year ago when I began troubleshooting this.  Support was hepful, and eventually confirmed the findings - saying that "this behavior is by design".  It's MSC237212.

I also posted around the same time to the Milestone forum here.

- Brian

Jared Tarter
Feb 09, 2018
Milestone Systems

Hi Brian,

I further verified with R&D that a Generic Event doesn't tag video as a sequence in the Corporate/Expert products and the new plug products.  It is by design but I didn't dig into why.

On the motion detection though, I was not able to duplicate what you are seeing.  I setup a camera for continuous recording and every time motion is triggered on the camera, it shows up as red on the timeline and is treated as a separate sequence.

The only possible solution I could think of is having the Generic Events trigger an Alarm.  With the newer software, you can view the alarms in the Mobile app and play the video back from there.  That way, they would be able to move between the different events.

BE
Brian Elias
Feb 09, 2018

Hi Jared,

Thank you again for your time with this.  The alarm trigger is a great idea.  I'll try this and report back.

As far as the motion recordings...I admit that I haven't tested this since last March (with Expert 2017 R1), but at that time I believe Bo Andersen from Milestone support confirmed those findings.  When I re-install Expert 2017 R3, I'll try this again.

Does moving between alarms in the mobile software require 2018, or is this something supported in 2017 R3?

Thanks,

- Brian

Jared Tarter
Feb 10, 2018
Milestone Systems

Hi Brian,

The alarm functionality in the Mobile app is available in the 2017 R3 software.

Thanks,

Jared

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions