Subscriber Discussion

Microphone & Speaker For Sony Cameras

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 27, 2013

The Sony microphone (SCA-M30 $348 list) & powered speaker (SCA-S30 $548 list) are not cost effective solutions for use on a Sony camera.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest an alternative. This is the camera (SNCVM601B):

I talked to Sony, they have no other ideas.

(Disclaimer: I am the VMS provider but customer is looking to me for a solution in order to use our intercom feature)

Thank you in advance.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 27, 2013
IPVM

Isn't Louroe the main source for professional mics and speakers for surveillance cameras? See our Louroe review.

I am sure others will have more specific recommendations.

Ethan Ace
Aug 27, 2013

I generally recommend Louroe, especially if you're looking for intercom, because they have a box built just for that. I know several integrators have used that model and like it, too.

DM
Duncan Miller
Aug 27, 2013

I have used ETS Microphones before with Sony cameras and they work well.

JK
Jayant Kumar
Aug 27, 2013

It would be helpful to know whether your application is indoor or outdoor and whether it is important for the products to be unobtrusive or vandal resistant if used indoors.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 27, 2013

The application is indoor and vandal resistance is not a requirement.

JK
Jayant Kumar
Aug 27, 2013

For an indoor application, if you are prepared to do some soldering, you could consider using the Audio Technica/ Propoint Boundary Microphone listed at $74.99 on Amazon under musical instruments. For the loudspeaker, you could consider using a normal mains powered active loudspeaker like the M-Audio Studiophile AV-40 Active Studio Monitor speaker listed on Amazon at $134.99, in conjunction with a 24V/120V step up transformer such as the Honeywell AT72D1683 listed at $26.38 on Amazon. To my knowledge, all the brands are well respected.

Brian Karas
Aug 27, 2013
Pelican Zero

Louroe is good stuff.

Crown PZM-11LLWR is a good outdoor mic.

ELK-800 Amp connected to whatever speaker you like will work well most of the time.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions