Subscriber Discussion

Meet Clearpix - The [Former] Avigilon OEM

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 01, 2015
IPVMU Certified

As mentioned in a different thread, Clearpix Technology out of Liberty, Missouri, appears to be a rare Avigilon OEM. Maybe someone can explain why, after working tirelessly at building strong brand loyalty thru it's strategic partner program, Avigilon would white-label it's products to another vendor.

And not only is Clearpix OEMing some Avigilon products, it appears to be OEMing their business model as well:

ClearPix Technology's Integrator Partner Program (IPP) is designed to establish and grow partnerships with elite Integrators and limit the amount of competitors in your own market, through tighter distribution, sales collaboration and joint marketing. The IPP is open to Integration companies that excel in customer service, training, IP Camera and networking knowledge. If you want an end-to-end solution and protection in your market from the manufacturer, then ClearPix is the right company to partner with.

What do Genuine Avigilon Partners think of these guys? Are there others? Are they cheaper or more expensive than the 'real thing'?

IPVM Update: Response From ClearPix owner Buddy Mason:

First off we were an Avigilon OEM which due to contracts this was not a public information. This has gone away over the past 8 months. We entered into this agreement as stated above when they were a smaller company and it made sense for their management to do it. Obviously with their growth over the past 5 years it no longer makes sense and I agreed with management that this was not healthy for their company anymore and needed to end. We still offer the ClearPix IPS but mostly sell Exacq to our dealers across the country because they choose to lead with the Exacq brand. As for why the products are still on the site it is because we still have stock and until that is gone I will leave it on there. I also own an integration company (ADS) that only sells in Kansas and Missouri and we continue to sell Avigilon ACC and ACM and are very happy with it to the tune of 2.3 million a year in purchases from them. Our relationship with Avigilon is still very strong and we appreciated the opportunity when we had it and all they have done for us. I hope this helps clarify everything for everyone. Any questions my direct line in 816.883.2750.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jun 01, 2015

It was an Exacq white label until shortly before / after the Tyco acquisition.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 01, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Do you suspect Tyco squashed the deal? Any idea on how big they are, as far as OEMers go that is?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jun 01, 2015

I'm assuming so, but that's a question only they could answer for sure. In the not too distant past, they were an Arecont distributor too, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Keeping that in mind, long about 2012, they'd been named one of Missouri's fastest growing companies. It seems to me total revenue was in the ballpark of $10 million. It's a great success story- kudos to Buddy Mason.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Jun 01, 2015

They basically stopped selling Exacq a year or two before the Tyco deal. They still supported it, but they lead with Avigilon. They also did not have the full Avigilon line of software.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jun 01, 2015
I do know that they were available through distribution at Security Data Supply, in the past. I saw a 1.3MP Autofocus box camera in their server room. I asked the branch manager how he got an Avigilon; he responded by saying it was ClearPix. He had their VMS running on a server, but was not showing it; they were leading with Bridge VMS (VideoInsight OEM), at the time.
JH
John Honovich
Jun 01, 2015
IPVM

This is like announcing that Tom Hanks won an academy award. True, but very late.

The Clearpix OEM arrangement started in the early days when Avigilon was a startup. I am not sure what the Clearpix / Avigilon status is today but I do not think it has a significant competitive impact on Avigilon nor their dealers.

(4)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 01, 2015
IPVMU Certified

This is like announcing that Tom Hanks won an academy award.

Results for Tom Hanks on variety.com: 14,000
Results for Clearpix on ipvm.com before yesterday: 0

fixed that for you. ;)

(2)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 01, 2015
IPVM

We had a discussion about Clearpix in 2011 on the old IPVM LinkedIn group.

The reason why we have not talked about them since is that they are a niche provider so the premise of your discussion is unfounded.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 01, 2015
IPVMU Certified

The premise of your discussion is unfounded.

Disagree, my premise was no more than they are an Avigilon OEM, which they are or at least were. Certainly they give the appearance of being one since their Avigi-like product is shown on their website and others.

I made no claims as to their size or impact. In fact I mostly asked questions, the main ones being "why would Avigilon white-label their product?" and "are there any others?".

The more niche they are the less it makes sense to me, how about you?

Considering that the Avigilon OEM product is presented as for sale on the web TODAY, would seem valid enough reason for a member to start a discussion inquiring about it, no?

I would have asked directly on the Avigilon drop-out thread but did not because it was getting off-topic already.

If the LinkedIn discussion was returned in search I would have had more background info.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 01, 2015
IPVM

This is the key unfounded part:

"Maybe someone can explain why, after working tirelessly at building strong brand loyalty thru it's strategic partner program, Avigilon would white-label it's products to another vendor."

Avigilon did this OEM deal before they built up their channel and brand.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 01, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the old "I was young, I needed the money." bit.

I wonder why they have not demanded Buddy take down the products off the web. Surely they serve no purpose to Buddy if he is not selling them. They don't care seems unlikely due to the effort they put into Web policing already.

(2)
KL
Keefe Lovgren
Jun 01, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Clearpix did an Exacq OEM (Clearpix IPS) and Acti (Clearpix D130) prior to offering an OEM of Avigilon ACC4 (Clearpix VMS) and Avigilon Cameras (Upto 5MP Cameras, MJPEG2000 and H.264 line).

To my knowledge the Avigilon has shut down the OEM and Clearpix no longer offers Clearpix VMS. About a year ago Clearpix started issuing Avigilon ACC5 licenses to upgrade all Clearpix VMS software.

added: They did also offer an access control line called ClearPass that uses Mercury hardware and it integrated into the Clearpix VMS.

(2)
UM
Jun 01, 2015
Today their phones do not ring...
(1)
(1)
Buddy Mason
Jun 01, 2015

What number you calling? My direct line is below or you can call the number from the site.

(3)
Buddy Mason
Jun 01, 2015

John thanks for the e-mail I did not see this thread and this should help clarify for everyone. First off we were an Avigilon OEM which due to contracts this was not a public information. This has gone away over the past 8 months. We entered into this agreement as stated above when they were a smaller company and it made sense for their management to do it. Obviously with their growth over the past 5 years it no longer makes sense and I agreed with management that this was not healthy for their company anymore and needed to end. We still offer the ClearPix IPS but mostly sell Exacq to our dealers across the country because they choose to lead with the Exacq brand. As for why the products are still on the site it is because we still have stock and until that is gone I will leave it on there. I also own an integration company (ADS) that only sells in Kansas and Missouri and we continue to sell Avigilon ACC and ACM and are very happy with it to the tune of 2.3 million a year in purchases from them. Our relationship with Avigilon is still very strong and we appreciated the opportunity when we had it and all they have done for us. I hope this helps clarify everything for everyone. Any questions my direct line in 816.883.2750.

(4)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 02, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Hey Buddy.

I'm curious about a couple of things if you can share. One would be how did your pricing compare to the equivalent branded Avigilon product?

In all honesty do you think the person buying white-label Avigilon actually knew that it was made by Avigilon, and thought they would be getting a better deal thru Clearpix?

What would you say if they asked you straight-up "is this Avigilon?".

Thanks.

Buddy Mason
Jun 02, 2015

Wish I knew who was asking me these questions but I will answer anyway. Under our brand we were many points higher than what a good Avigilon dealer could buy for and that is because my deal did not mean I bought at a way better price than the best dealers. It gave our dealers in certain markets where Avigilon was not concentrating early on an opporunity to have great products with their own brand in their market that we helped protect. Keep in mind from both sides we were not doing this to compete against Avigilon dealers, our distribution is unique enough to make sure that if the boat was rocked we could work with Avigilon to mitigate any concerns their customers might have. We were based on their Standard licensing with a few upgrades that helped us play well in the mid-sized markets. If the person knew the business at all they could tell by the software and or the cameras and that was hard to deny who produced the products for us. As I stated before Avigilon has been good to my company and this will be the last I answer on this in a forum where I don't know who I am speaking with so if you have any more questions please call my office. I am pretty easy to talk to...

(3)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 02, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Thanks, Buddy.

BTW, I sent you an email at sales@clearpix.com.

UM
Jun 03, 2015
(866) 883-0203 Was the number I dialed.
Buddy Mason
Jun 03, 2015

I am not sure your point by throwing this up here and not calling the number I put in my summary and or our 800# we moved forward with for both ClearPix and SourceIT that is clearly displayed on the websites. With the new hosted VOIP phone system I decided to do away with the number you mention. The good thing is the people we care about and that care about us, have all of our numbers including personal cell phones. I await your call to see who this is.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions