Subscriber Discussion

May Have To File A Lien On A Property, Looking For Some Advice

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 13, 2017

Long story short:

A contractor that we have worked together with on one project in the past calls us up. "I need fire ran in a project, and I need it by three days, it is urgent". We take a look at the project and we see that the ceilings are solid cement. I advised him that by law being that the ceilings are higher then 10ft, we do not need to put it in conduit, however it will be much neater if we do. But it will be an additional $1000. 

He says that he wants it done cheap as he doesn't have the budget for it. I get this all in emails, with me advising him that it wont be so nice. We do the work, no contract was signed (I know, a mistake).  Fast forward two months, he asks us to do the final. I send him a copy of the current bill, and state in it that it does not include the final. He says ok, when everything is done it will be paid. This again is all in emails.

Finish the work, send him adjusted bill. He firsts complains about tax, that no one ever charges him tax. I say give me a capital improvement cert and I wont charge either. He then complains that the bill is too high, and he only wants to pay the original bill. He then says, that the wire is not neat. I told him, that you could have told us that the past two months, and I had warned him that the wire would not be neat if it was not in a conduit. I said, please send me an email confirming that you will pay the bill, as well as a list of things that you feel need to be fixed up. Once I get that, I'll have someone there within a day. The job site is 4 hours round trip away and don't want to have to send someone there for a quick fix.

No reply. Send him another email the following week. No reply. Now a month later, I send him another email. He replies, "we did not hear back from you, so we had to hire someone to clean up the work, and we had to pay him a premium, send us your bill and we will deduct what we had to pay him".

I replied, that I was waiting to hear back from him, and that I had sent him numerous requests. His reply was "It is not my job to show you what needs to be fixed, there is a reason why I hired you".

I know I am not going to get anywhere with him. The entire bill on the project was about $12K. The building according to tax records is worth $30 million. So my plan is to file a lien on the property.

While I know nothing is guaranteed, what do you feel my chances of success are?

Thank you

Brian Rhodes
Jul 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In my experience, filing a lien is the 'nuclear option' and really is only done after all avenues to get paid are gone.

First, contracts are important and so are written scopes of work, and you're feeling the burn of taking a shortcut here.  

Second, the contractor has a boss.  And presumably, that person has a boss or owner. And even that person answers to someone, or a building owner somewhere in the chain.

If you have a reasoned discussion with someone higher up and show up with your back-n-forth that shows you tried to make it right, it might be worth a few hours of your time if you stand to lose $12,000.

UI
Jul 13, 2017

I have learnt the hard way that contracts are important. After this incident I purchased a few from kirschenbaum. 

I agree it is the nuclear option and that is the reason why I used it in the past. My main contact was with the sire foreman. He is the one who had said to do it cheaper, etc... He is the one who didnt reply originally. I then sent it to his boss, the owner of the GC company. He is the one that said "ok, when everything is done it will be paid".

He is then the one that stopped replying when I asked for a punch list and a guarantee. My only next step is the owner of the building who I have not had any dealings with at all.

Were my requests, for a punch list and a email confirming that he will pay the bill reasonable? Is the contractor going to be able to claim that I didnt want to finish the work so they were forced to go to someone else?

How does usually the process work on a lien? I know how to file, and how to notify. But how does it work if they contest it?

Thank you

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jul 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The procedure and timeline varies by state, but assuming you file a lien and they contest it, then you and them must provide evidence (invoices, receipts, pictures, etc) that work was done or not done according to the agreement. This is usually done in some kind of legal docket or arbitration.

The thing that has you in a bad spot is proving 'the agreement' was actually in effect, satisfied, and that your work matches the outstanding balance.  Someone else that may know nothing about typical security work may decide the issue.

I'm not anything close to an expert in this, and have only heard horror stories. Hope it works in your favor!

UI
Jul 13, 2017

If they do contest, I am going to lead with two arguments:

1) There were two months between roughing and final, the issues he had were with the roughing. Thy could have called us back during that time, or if we were not responsive, then not get us to come back for the final

2) I do have an email from him acknowledging  my initial bill and that there will be more, with him saying he will pay all upon completion. If there was an issue, it should have been brought up at that time

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 13, 2017

This sounds to me about like the equivalent of someone making you mad, so your first bit of retribution is to egg their house, then they make you mad again so you burn their house to the ground.

Now, with that said, my caveat: IANAL.

Without a signed contract, I think you are highly unlikely to get anywhere at all going that route.

Personally, I would find out who that contractor works for. If he works for himself, then the next answer is to go straight to the building owner where you did the work. Print a copy of all of the emails, write a nice letter, and hand-deliver it, fully expecting that you're not going to get to talk to anyone of any importance. If you do, even better, but be prepared as though you just have to leave the information behind. Document your trip and who you speak with.

Chances are, that'll rattle some cages good enough to move things from where they are. Even without a signed contract, work was done, and it was done to the specification that you promised in the timeline you promised (assuming you're telling the truth).

If it doesn't, just keep pressing the issue.

I just do not feel that you have any chance of a lien being successful without a contract, even with emails documenting it all.

My $0.02.

(2)
(1)
UI
Jul 13, 2017

I will attempt to locate the owner first.

Re not having a contract, from my research, in my state a contract is not required. Rather "writing evidencing the existence of an agreement is sufficient to allow the filing of a mechanics lien claim."

Thank you

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jul 13, 2017

What state?  

In California it would be about 0%.  

The best you could do is small claims and a prayer for a lucky judge.

The lien is against the property, so the owner should have been notified with a preliminary notice.  Then there is a limited period to file the lien.

Also, failing to pull permits in some jurisdictions would be sufficient to avoid payment as would not being correctly licensed.

The rules change by state, but you might be better off walking away from the $12,000.00.

I don't play an attorney on the radio or television but I would research before diving in.

(1)
SB
Steven Burman
Jul 17, 2017

Also, here in California, don't you have to file a "Preliminary Intent to Lien" within a certain number of days after being awarded the job? When I worked for a fire alarm company years ago I remember the owner wanted to lien a job but couldn't because the admin people had neglected to file the document as required.

(1)
Mark Jones
Jul 17, 2017

Good Morning UD1.  I had this very thing happen to me, also with a Fire system, almost the same circumstances.  I did have a contract, no signature, but email approval; so I did have a bit more than you have.  The GC refused to pay it saying it was the owner's responsibility.  He was acting just as the middle man.  He presented his bill to the owner without my system so he did not get paid for it by the owner.  

In my case, the owner wanted nothing to do with it.  They were unreasonable. 

In North Carolina, I don't have a clear legal path to the owner by State law.  So where you live is important. I had to contend with the GC.  I worked with him over the course of 14 months and he never made an effort to pay.  Not once.  Just empty promises.  

In month 15, I sued him. Step one was arbitration.  We all met at the lawyer's office.  This guy had the worst paperwork I have ever seen for his own job.  He did not have a contract for his work.  No job description, nothing.  He had a bill to the owner that did not include our work.  Even his own attorney knew he had no leg to stand on.  

After some conversation, and I stayed pretty quiet for once, we worked out an agreement where the owner paid 1/3, the GC paid 2/3.  His payments were spread out over 9 months.  

The caveat was that if he missed even one payment, he became responsible for all of it plus interest for 14 months (NC law) + legal fees. He also would be found in contempt of court.  The agreement was signed and filed.  He paid all of it.  The contempt conviction was the most important thing to me.  He could not get his Contractors license renewed with a conviction on his record.  He didn't know that and signed it anyway.

Your legal theory is "unjust enrichment" and you need to read up on that.  Even if a contractor makes an honest mistake, and you did not, consumers cannot just receive something of value without paying for it.  Check your local laws about your legal path to the owner, but, like UD2, I would also contact the owner with a nice letter of explanation (don't get your hopes up).  If that fails, be ready to sue the GC in small claims court (check your state for small claims threshold).  

From now on out, do everything without emotion, without malice and formally.  Don't make it personal, it is just business.  Send your communications registered mail, requesting signatures.  Stop initiating phone calls, and everything must be in writing.  Conversations mean nothing.  He is unreliable.  You two obviously had an agreement of some kind.  You performed work, and you would not have done that without some idea that you would get paid.  There was some sort of agreement.  Most judges are reasonable and smart.  They will figure it out, but they don't want to do your heavy lifting for you.  Prove your case to the best of your ability.  

All is not lost, but it will be a long haul.  It will require patience.    Good luck.

(2)
Mike Monsive
Jul 17, 2017

UD1 This sounds like you have spent $12K in education.  Hopefully you learn for this and don't do another bit of work for anyone without a signed contract in place.  I also have spent money the way you have in the education of hard knocks.  I did extensive research and hired the best (and often very expensive) construction lawyers to represent my company.  After our initial consultation, it was clear that my organization needed to be schooled on the legal collection process and the intricate lien laws for my state.  Based on that, my recommendation is DO NOT file a lien.  Specifically, you could find yourself on the paying end if you file an "fraudulent" lien.  This would allow the owner to go after you.  In court you would have to prove your case and it all comes down to paperwork.  Further, there are specific notices that must be sent at specific time intervals in order for you to file a legitimate lien.  Without certified proof that you sent these notices to ALL parties involved on the project you may not have a legal right to file a lien.  EVERYONE HERE SHOULD KNOW THE POWER OF THE PRE-LIEN NOTICE.  If you do not, I recommend that you contact a construction lawyer in your state and learn.  A Pre-lien notice has been one of the most beneficial instruments in keeping constant cash flow on AIA jobs.  It puts all parties on notice that you know the law and expect to be paid in a timely manner.  In order to properly notice all parties there is some information gathering that must be done on the front end.  If you are not collecting this information upfront, I highly recommend everyone to start.  You need to know the legal contact information for the electrical contractor (if you are sub to them), the general contractor, the architect, and the owner.  Your certified notices will go out to all of those parties each time.  

Just because you can't file a lien doesn't mean that it is end of the road for you.  Keep in mind that mechanic's liens expire.  So, if an owner doesn't respond to a lien you are still forced to file a lawsuit as the next step.  My recommendation would be to contact a construction attorney and have him send a demand letter to the owner and GC for services rendered.  This will show both parties that you are serious and ready to fight for your money.  You should get a response from that, however if you don't then the next step would be to file a lawsuit.  Just understand that the attorney's are on the clock and even if you have a strong valid case you may not always be entitled to attorney's fees.  It is not unreasonable to think you could spend more than $12k in attorneys fee to get a judgement that you would then have to try and collect.  Depending on the jurisdiction it could be completely up to the Judge or Jury if you even get that far.  Most courts today are pushing for or have enforced non-binding arbitration prior to trial to try and keep as many cases out of the crowded courts as possible.

So, after reading that last paragraph you as business owners or managers should be asking yourself why do we do what we do if we can't get paid.  Understand that the contracts that the general contractors are presenting to us today have millions of dollars of legal work behind them and are almost always 100% in their favor.  The general contractors are more organized as a group than we are and not only have industry lawyers but lobbyist.  One lesson my attorney's taught me is that it is possible that the general contractor agreement is so one sided it is could be illegal on invalid.  They call it an unconscionable contract.  The problem is everyone in our industry is so hungry to get a project that they often don't read the contracts and never mark them up with changes.  If we all were educated on contracts and we fought these terms we could make a change.  However, we all know there is a "chuck in a truck" or a "vic in a van" that will do the job and not even question the contract.  

A couple of other things we have seen recently that everyone should know is a couple of gotchas we are seeing:

• Recently added was the language that all terms and conditions between general contractor and owner are considered to be within and are enforceable upon subcontractor.  This is an issue because you haven't seen the contract between the owner and general contractor.  Now you have to ask for it.  Good luck getting it.  Recently when I asked I was denied and I used that as the basis to have that language removed.  Another time we got the contract between the owner and gc and found that they had liquidated damages of $12,000 per day.  Legally, if I would have signed that contract as is I would have been liable for those LDs should an issue have arose.  
  • Also recently, we received a small two page contract from a major general contractor.  This was huge red flag for me.  They included a web address in the language of the contract and said all terms and conditions listed on that address were considered herein as part of the contract.  We went to the site and found 100s of pages of legal jargon as our new terms and conditions.  

UD1 you mentioned reaching out to Ken kirschenbaum to get his contracts and that is a great start.  As you dive into bigger construction contracts I recommend you meet with an expert in your state.  Ken's contracts are great for small business / resi and for recurring services.  For the installation portion and construction contracts there is some language there that after being properly educated we felt was missing.  We still use some of Ken's contracts ourselves for recurring services direct with the owner, but when it comes to EC and GC contracts we don't.

John Honovich this article points us to an area that your site could make a huge contribution to our industry.  It would be great to see some legal experts post regular articles on our industry and things that affect our business everyday.  If you could get some information about legal loopholes and one sided indemnifications, etc. it could benefit a lot of subscribers.  Also some financial experts would be great.  If you could have someone share the importance of knowing your true hourly overhead costs and how to calculate that information for example.  Job costing and post mortem analysis would also be beneficial.  Honestly, the financial piece is purely dedicated to my quest to never go up against another competitor who quotes $35 a hour labor and single digit margins.  The more we educate our industry the stronger we will be.      

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 17, 2017
IPVM

Mike, informative comments on the lien situation!

Thanks for the recommendation on legal and financial contributors. I think that is a good idea and opened a new discussion to talk about that: Should IPVM Hire Legal Or Financial Consultants? If So, Who?

Mike Monsive
Jul 17, 2017

http://bestlawfirms.usnews.com/construction-law

I can vouch for Peckar and Abramson and I can make an intro for you.

Someone in a CFO role would be good for accounting or a CPA firm.  A quick search revealed this company:  http://calvettiferguson.com/

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions