Subscriber Discussion

Mate Analytics - Who Has Used It? What Was Your Overall Experience?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 07, 2014

I have a client that is interested in analytics for use with thermal cameras on a government project. The VMS is currently ONSSI and the intent is to send an alert when a human is identified on an exterior perimeter. False positives need to be very minimal. Thanks in advance!

JH
John Honovich
Aug 08, 2014
IPVM

I have not used Mate in a long time nor has IPVM tested it, so there's not much we can say.

At one point, though, Mate faded away but I have seen some renewed marketing / sales effort from them (now, Mate / MangoDSP) over the past year or two.

Btw, OnSSI lists analytics integrations with Agent VI and VideoIQ, two other providers I would consider for existing thermal cameras on a government project.

Let's see what people know.

UI
Aug 08, 2014

Those I have spoke to like VideoIQ and I have a real world demo of that at my office next week. I will let you know what I think after I see it in action.

AK
Alex K
Aug 08, 2014

What distance do u need ?

I have seen DRS and VideoIQ up to 400-500 feet working very nice

JH
John Honovich
Aug 08, 2014
IPVM

Alex, please qualify that with the resolution and angle of view of the camera used. I don't find it hard to believe but it is dependent on that as well.

AK
Alex K
Aug 08, 2014

Camera was CIF resolution

7.5 mm lenses

and sample of DRS all 40 degree field of view

UI
Aug 08, 2014

It will vary by site and location at site. I would say the majority will be in the 400-500 foot range and some may push 900-1000 feet. It just depends on how we deploy the solution if we are mounting to existing structure or installing poles. Obviously we want the best performance but we also will have a budget.

Brian Selltiz
Aug 10, 2014
IPVMU Certified
Sightlogix thermal cameras have worked well for us in perimeter protection.
JH
John Honovich
Aug 10, 2014
IPVM

Brian, to note for others, I don't believe Sightlogix offers encoders or supports 3rd party cameras, so if they go this route I don't think they can reuse existing cameras.

GC
Greg Cortina
Aug 11, 2014

Undisclosed Integrator. I work for FLIR.

We work with a variety of analytics devices, outputting both RTSP streams and Analog video as required. We have projects with Object Video, Mate, IOImage, VideoIQ, PureTech, AgentVI and a host of others.

In a partnering effort we helped develop modifications to the VideoIQ line to function better with thermal imagers, and specifically the image using our default settings which have been tailored after years of experience for a 24/7/365 security environment. Any device can be set to look good for that day in thermal. This allowed increased detection and classification ranges. Your customer wants classificiation on thermal events, not a day/night PTZ swinging over to provide that part which may not provide an image in the same environment as a thermal detector. It sounds like a subtle difference but it's not.

If you go to www.flir.com/raven you will find a pull-down for adding cameras to a site that includes TAP products. They are not a product, they are pre-scaled to the requirements of VideoIQ. Most analytics manufacturers use "Pixels on Target" to determine "Detection" versus "Classification" and your customer will want ranges suited to "Classification" in order to generate and alarm. VideoIQ uses a scale based on the FOV at the distance stated. That FOV changes based on a 320x240 imager and a 640x480 imager. 320x240 is significantly less expensive than 640x480 so it's a typical starting point. Distances of 600+ meters can be obtained along a fenceline with a significant section of dead zone under the camera.

Always feel free to reach out to your fiendly neighborhood FLIR guy as we walk people through these designs on a daily basis.

Greg

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Aug 12, 2014

Always feel free to reach out to your fiendly neighborhood FLIR guy...

Fiendly must be a typo, did you mean fiendish? ;)

(1)
GC
Greg Cortina
Aug 12, 2014

Yup, spell check didn't catch that one. However, the information is valid and our guys are friendly and maybe a little fiendish except when it comes to disclosing detection versus classification.

Wilson 1 - Cortina 0

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions