Subscriber Discussion

Managing Firmware On Large Axis System

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 22, 2017

I have a client with more than 10 sites and hundreds of Axis cameras. All the sites are already on a global WAN which I have access to. Would I be better off with a dedicated server that is running Axis Camera Client with all the cameras registered to that machine or should I simply install the Axis Camera Client on all the VMS servers and just manage the cameras which are on each server that way. Interested if anyone has similar situation and how you are dealing with it. Client wants camera firmware up to date at all times.

Josh Hendricks
Mar 22, 2017
Milestone Systems

I would feel uncomfortable upgrading firmware on a camera over a WAN connection. From experience, the upgrade process on Axis cameras is fairly robust so would probably not result in a bricked camera due to an interruption in the network connection. But it still makes me nervous based on experience with a lot of other devices in and out of the IP video market.

Personally I would go for installing ACC at each site, and do some sort of automation to ensure updated firmware is copied to each site on a regular basis and make firmware updates a part of the normal maintenance window.

(1)
MB
Michael Blumenson
Mar 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Would suggest running firmware updates from servers/workstations as local to the cameras as possible.  You don't want slow WAN connection to cause a problem with a firmware update.  Second note: the customers desire for current firmware may not be compatible with whatever flavor and version of the VMS you are running.  Check compatibility before running updates.     

(3)
(1)
UI
Mar 23, 2017

VMS is Milestone. Client also wants that kept up to date so compatibility is almost always not an issue.

Ross Vander Klok
Mar 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I would hit "agree" 1000 times on the firmware not being compatible with the VMS.  Our OnGuard system normally lags behind by five or six firmware versions.

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 22, 2017

If your not already using it I would recommend installing Axis Camera Management at each site and batch upgrading all firmware with that tool.  

(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 22, 2017

Be cautious about remote firmware upgrades.

If you don't have access to the management of network switches, you will have to visit site to restart the cameras.

talking from experience 

regards

(1)
UI
Mar 23, 2017

I guess I should go with installing the Axis Management Client software on the local servers. The WAN is actually fairly robust but you are still at the mercy of "the internet".

Thanks for the responses.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 23, 2017
IPVM

Axis response:

The server-client architecture of ACM enables you to control multiple sites, each one running ACM server, from one or several instances of ACM client.

Go for the centralized solution, i.e. the necessary instances of ACM client running on a single server, provided that this server can reach across the whole WAN. Ultimately, ACM installs both the server and the client.  So you will have the ability to do upgrades from each location but also centrally.

One thing to consider is the available bandwidth between Client and servers when doing firmware upgrade. If each site has 15 different camera models, 15 firmware files will be sent from Client to Server in parallel.

(1)
UI
Mar 23, 2017

Thanks John! It always pays to ask.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions