Subscriber Discussion

Inexpensive Managed PoE Switches?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 14, 2016

Does anyone know of an inexpensive PoE switch (4, 8 or 16 port) that allows you to remotely manage the switch and cycle power to the PoE ports individually (ie - kill power and turn power back on)

I found the Cisco SLM2008PT which is 8 ports, 4 PoE, 4 non-PoE and 32 watts power budget for $250 but was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this and can recommend anything less expensive?

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Sep 14, 2016

A managed switch at $250 is not expensive at all, especially with the Cisco brand.

That being said, I would be very careful with only having 8 watts per port (32 watts total power budget). MANY cameras consume more than 8 watts, especially higher resolution cameras and cameras with IRs or any form of heater/blower (and in reality, you would need to be sure that your cameras are not much more than 6 watts or so to keep a power buffer - you don't want a switch to be operating at maximum power output constantly)

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...and in reality, you would need to be sure that your cameras are not much more than 6 watts...

Though you could manage one or two higher wattage cameras, like a PTZ, since many cameras consume less than 8 watts.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 14, 2016

Thanks, but this question was not about how to power budget for PoE, nor your opinion of whether or not $250 is a fair price for a switch.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Have you seen this one from D-Link?

I have one, but for less than a month and haven't played around with it yet.

8 ports 72w total, managed, for under $100.

(1)
(1)
Ethan Ace
Sep 14, 2016

Lately when we've bought switches for testing, we've been getting Ubiquiti. The Unifi 8 Port switch is ~$200ish online, 150W of PoE, and all gig. We've got a 24 port EdgeSwitch as well, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably go with Unifi as you can manage them with Ubiquiti's software from one interface.

Also, I'm not sure how much I'd recommend it in a commercial system, but I've used a TP Link 8 port PoE switch at home for awhile and it's worked fine. I think I got it for about $100.

(2)
(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Sep 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Oh yea sure, Longsee has just the switch you need $ 29 bucks, with warranty.

(3)
(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Sep 14, 2016

HP 1910 switches are at good price point and might be a good fit for you. One advantage over the UBNT is they have the Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 15, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I thought hp was ending the lifetime warranty on their switches? Maybe I was misinformed? Either way, they at least have support staff, unlike UBNT.

Another brand to look at that has great support is Netgear. The pricing is a little higher than UBNT, but includes enterprise level support on their business products. This includes next day replacements, which I've had to use once and they delivered (bad pun, I know)!!

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 15, 2016

Here is the warranty info for HP.

Gert Molkens
Sep 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Have a look at Zyxel or Netgear. They'll be cheaper and still be good quality

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions