Making Surveillance Cameras In Mexico Instead Of China?

JH
John Honovich
Feb 13, 2013
IPVM

A NYTimes article talking about the benefits of US companies manufacturering in Mexico instead of Taiwan. The author states,

"Today, what Shenzhen is to Hong Kong, Tijuana is becoming to San Diego. You can drive from our San Diego engineering center to our Tijuana factory in 20 minutes"

He goes on to enumerate numerous benefits of manufacturering in Tijuana.

It's an opinion piece from the former editor of Wired who now runs a drone company (not surveillance related).

Does anyone think this would be a good (or bad) template for US surveillance camera companies?

Brian Karas
Feb 13, 2013
Pelican Zero

I don't see why it would be bad. Let's face it, in the grand scheme a modern electronics a cctv camera is not really a complex piece of equipment.

It shouldn't be that hard to startup a factory, if the quality is high and the total cost (eg: shipping to your US distribution point) is low, you could make cctv cameras in the Bahama's or on the International Space Station. Or, in Mexico.

I would say the only risk (for any manufacturing location) would be the volatility of the area - ability to recruit, train, and retain workers; ability to get access to a steady supply of parts; good shipping options, etc.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 13, 2013
IPVM

Brian, the huge plus listed in the article that makes sense to me is direct, instant access to the manufacturer / facilities - something that is only possible by using proxies or a dedicated overseas employee with Chinese arrangements.

Brian Karas
Feb 13, 2013
Pelican Zero

I think proximity like that has huge value in a number of scenarios. Semi off-topic but related, when building server infrastructures, I tend to prefer data centers that are local, within driving distance, whenever possible. If things get totally off-track, being able to drive over and "take my toys elsewhere" has lots of direct and indirect overall benefits.

Being able to drive 20 minutes to a factory and hash things out in person is worth a million Webex's or proxy conversations.

MI
Matt Ion
Feb 13, 2013

Not like being made in a America is any great calling card anyway - Arecont proclaims to be fully American-made, and well... let's just say my experience with them has shown some of the worst QC I've ever seen in my life.

MC
Margarita Castillo
Feb 13, 2013

I have to agree that it sounds like a good thing. Why wouldn't it be? Cheaper to ship I would hope and so much easier to meet with.

Personally I welcome the idea.

Michael Budalich
Feb 13, 2013
Genetec

Do you think the violence in Mexico and drug cartels practically running the nation has some influence in why this is not more prevalent? I would have to think safety is a major concern for companies considering this shift. Then again, I think Ford has a huge factory in Mexico currently. Last march they invested 1.3 billion into in their stamping and assembly plant in the northern Mexican city of Hermosillo, creating 1,000 jobs.

If the auto industry can do something like this why cant the same be done in security?

Richard Lavin
Feb 13, 2013
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

"I would have to think safety is a major concern for companies considering this shift."

Would it be ironic if a security manufacturer chose not to relocate production to Mexico because of security concerns?

SP
Sean Patton
Feb 14, 2013

Hahha great point Richard.

On the flipside, dont the majority of the chips and raw materials actually come from Asia where the products are produced? If they are, the manufacturer will still have reasonably similar shipping costs and now they will not only have to tool out a plant, but they will have to maintain a stock of many months worth of parts vs. being able to maintain a few weeks work a la the Toyota manufacturing model.

I like the idea, I just dont know how good of an idea it is...

Sean Nelson
Feb 14, 2013
Nelly's Security

The good news is is that the translated manuals will probably be alot easier to read then the Engrish manuals that you get from Chinese made products. Good thing most schools require Spanish class nowadays!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions