Subscriber Discussion

Make A Dummy Camera Out Of Paper

CP
Carlton Purvis
Feb 28, 2014

I came across a dummy camera template being passed around on Twitter yesterday. It looks like this:

It was created by a designer at the site Paper-Replika.com where they make templates for all kinds of neat things and give them out for free. It's kind of hard to find the link to actually download the template so I've included a link here. The pdf is password protected and the password is: paper-replika.com

If anyone actually makes one, please take a picture of it and post it on this thread. It's pretty easy to figure out, but i you need them, additional assembly instructions can be found here.

Related:

Brian Rhodes
Feb 28, 2014
IPVMU Certified

*take a picture of it WITH A REAL CAMERA and post it on this thread.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Feb 28, 2014

Could also be a good project for Arts and Crafts Day at Greater Heights Academy.

Ari Erenthal
Feb 28, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Can I weatherize it by using wax paper, or is that cheating?

Ari Erenthal
Feb 28, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

They tried to make an HDcctv version of this, but they couldn't get the safety scissors to cut properly...

Ari Erenthal
Feb 28, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Avigilon tried to make a version of this, but their engineers keep accidentally making beautiful and elegent paper swans...

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Mar 01, 2014

Avigilon then decided bigger paper swans were far better for the average paper swan user.

"The more swan, the better" became the official slogan and the

AvigiSwan 29' "MegaSwan" was born

Ari Erenthal
Feb 28, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Samsung's paper cameras work just as well and cost half as much, and are easier to assemble, but John made fun of them for not knowing the exact chemical composition of the paper, and they ran away crying...

Ari Erenthal
Feb 28, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I'm okay with this, but Dunder Mifflin better respect the channel and not sell reams of paper direct to end users. Not like those jerks from Staples.com...

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Mar 01, 2014

Latest trunkslammer poll indicates Office Depot favored over Home Depot.

Ethan Ace
Feb 28, 2014

Ari Erenthal, everybody. He'll be here all week. Tip your servers.

Brian Rhodes
Feb 28, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I found an analog version:

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Feb 28, 2014

Sure these look good on paper but in the real world...

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Feb 28, 2014

For once the warranty is worth the paper its printed on.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Feb 28, 2014

This company needs to make a move into smoke detectors pronto, sure you might "think its fake" but what arsonist is gonna take the chance?

Carl Lindgren
Feb 28, 2014

The paper camera is almost as great a deterrent to shoplifting as the paper cop:

JH
Jim Hall
Mar 01, 2014

Guardin what's important, the hootch! (In the good ol' US of A, our cutout would be reachin' for his Colt)

MI
Matt Ion
Feb 28, 2014

JH
Jim Hall
Feb 28, 2014

Ok, y'all, that gave me an idea! How 'bout makin one them pop-up books with a foldout for cameras from each manufacturer, to scale? From ACTi to Toshiba? Does a 2014 IPVM Camera pop-up tickle your fancy, J.H.?

Prospects would love 'em. Or maybe a history of cctv book, "in the begininng there was the Wire..."

Ari Erenthal
Feb 28, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

In th Begining, there was Ikegami. And they made the C mount, and it was good. And it was evening, and it was morning.

And on the second day, Kalatel introduced the time lapse VCR, and they saw, and it was good. And it was evening, and it was morning.

And on the third day, Pelco made the multiplexer, and they switched the video signal, and it was good.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Mar 01, 2014

Don't tell me you are one of those Darwinist's who believe that somehow that this prehistoric relic

randomly 'evolved' to this highly specialized reset buttonless wonder!

Scott Thomas
Mar 01, 2014

I think I see a shootout coming......

MI
Matt Ion
Mar 01, 2014

Okay, this thread has had me chuckling, but Scott's picture just cracked me up completely.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 01, 2014
IPVMU Certified

That POS has a high f-number for sure.

Gerald Becker
Mar 01, 2014

I can't believe I scanned this whole thread...shaking my head.

Marty Major
Mar 01, 2014
Teledyne FLIR

Personally, I think the idea of a paper camera fooling anyone (the real reason people would be inclined to use 'real' fake cameras) is absurd.

But the comment section was one of the funniest ever! I'm pissed that I was working all day and missed it.

Stupid work. :(

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions