Subscriber Discussion

Magnetic Bit For Screwing Hikvision Camera To Pendant Cap?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 16, 2017

Hoping someone can help me here.

I'm always having a hard time when screwing hikvision cameras to their respective pendant caps. The screws are in a tight awkward location and getting the screws in without them falling behind the pcb is a real pain in the rear. 

I searched online for magnetic bits but didn't really come up with anything that stuck out.

Anyone else having this issue? and how are you getting around this? I know that It's a simple problem but I find it to be a real time killer, and on top of that gets me really frustrated.

Any help appreciated!

DW
David Westberry
Jun 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I usually keep small earth magnets on me, the kind from security contacts, and stick 1-2 on the side of the driver/bit I am using. Not always the best solution if space is tight as the magnet can get knocked off.

Haven't been in the field for a while so not familiar with this particular Hikvision problem.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 16, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

The screws are stainless steel or some other alloy, which a magnetic bit won't attract. The key to installing the cap is to have the cap on top, camera below, and insert the screw in an upward manner, with the assist of gravity to keep the screw on your tip. I usually hold the camera and cap above my head so I can look up into the hole.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jun 16, 2017

Try a mag booster. It fits around the bit.  I bought one at home depot a few weeks ago for <$5.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-B-44971-Impact-GOLD-Boost/dp/B00WMLY59W

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 16, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

The screws they include are non-ferrous, which means they aren't attracted to magnets. 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jun 16, 2017

Or even aluminum. Non magnetic. 

Ethan Ace
Jun 16, 2017

I have a set of screw holding screwdrivers for things like this. I never used them often, but they avoided so much annoyance when I needed them.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 17, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I'm not sure the Klein tip would fit in the small hole in the PCB that you are given on the DS-2CD27XX series of cameras. I can't seem to find a spec sheet that gives the diameter of the head (shown below) to know if it would work or not. Compared to the #2 phillips tip, it seems rather bulky.

John Jenkins
Jun 16, 2017

Use Samsung, Axis, or any other cameras instead.  This sounds like a joke, but Hikvision are notorious for having difficult installation parameters. 

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Jun 17, 2017

No wonder you have trouble, the structural engineer probably does not own a set of screwdrivers.

Most Chinese made cameras pay little attention to proper screws, ease of installation, waterproof, IK ratings or any good regulatory certifications. Even wall anchors which would even be of any use.

I bet if you ask any sales person at a show what a Octagon box is, and so then move on to 4S. Answers on a postcard.

Buildings in China don't use stud walls, most are low grade tuff to drill pre-fabricated concrete slabs, just knocked up in a flash.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jun 16, 2017

I'm curious as to what you mean exactly... can you take a picture and post?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 17, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Another thing you could do is find alternate screws that ARE ferrous steel. Run down to the hardware store and buy matching thread/length zinc plated screws.

Dwayne Cooney
Jun 26, 2017

Buy longer #6 screws, at least 1 1/4", so you can start them by hand.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions