LTS Beating ADI On Hikvision Sales Now?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 07, 2017
IPVM

At ISC West, Hikvision OEM LTS announced they were becoming (at least adding for now) Hikvision branded distribution.

At the time, there was significant debate about which, what or how many Hikvision products LTS would be selling.

Now, it is becoming quite clear.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 07, 2017
IPVM

The ADI July specials are out and so are LTS.

While ADI has been strong at running all sorts of sales and specials, LTS looks to be matching up head to head at even lower prices. It's clear now that LTS is becoming a full on Hikvision distributor and not just for specialty items as many commented initially.

What do you think? Seems good for Hikvision but how does this impact LTS and ADI? Any integrators particularly moved to choose between LTS and ADI?

(1)
(2)
TR
Thomas Rusher
Jul 07, 2017

Shame on anyone buying this crap regardless of who the cheapest supplier is.

(6)
(6)
(5)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jul 07, 2017

Unfortunately, business as usual for Hikvision. Growth and sales at all costs; Employees, business relationship, etc. 

I think this is an unwise move and other distributors will take note. 

(6)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 07, 2017
IPVM

other distributors will take note.

How about the other Hikvision OEMs? :)

But even if they object, what is going to happen? Will they drop Hikvision? Look at LTS, I can't imagine how switching from OEM with their own brand to reselling branded Hikvision is a positive for them, but they are clearly doing it.

(1)
UM
Jul 07, 2017

The Hikvision / LTS relationship has always been an odd one. There are deep ties somewhere.

My best guess is this was done to appease the Hikvision sales staff who's biggest competition was LTS.

Hikvision probably made the case to LTS that they could make the same money selling branded vs OEM. Hikvision RSMs get paid on the branded through distribution so it's a win-win.

(2)
Joseph Parker
Aug 18, 2017

I disagree.  One of the major reasons I lead on smaller projects with LTS is that they aren't quite as easy to shop.  Also, I have a strong relationship with my distributor.  I use Hik as well, but typically only when I have need that falls outside of their assortment.  Having them in house makes it a ton easier to get those extra parts.  A common example is Hik's recessed dome mount brackets that I used to purchase from ADI for LTS cameras.  

Sean Nelson
Jul 07, 2017
Nelly's Security

Good move for both Hikvision and LTS. Hikvision gets to move more products, plus they now have a distributor that actually offers tech support as opposed to being a box mover like ADI. Good for LTS because they now get to use the brand marketing power of Hikvision.

(8)
(2)
(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 07, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I agree with Sean. While it certainly sucks for ADI, it can't be a bad deal for LTS or Hikvision. I will surely use this to leverage better pricing from my ADI rep.

(5)
(1)
(1)
(1)
UM
Jul 07, 2017

Therein lies the issue. 

When is cheap going to be cheap enough? 

For the most part, ADI provides good customer service, system design support and an entire corporate infrastructure to support you, their customer. 

Most people have long standing personal relationships with their distributors. They get paid on sales, are the few dollars you'll save really worth all the negative impact on the supply chain and industry? 

(2)
(2)
Joseph Parker
Aug 18, 2017

It's the world we live in.  Cheap is never cheap enough UNLESS you can provide a super high level of service.  I deal with about 30 distros for our various lines and I can't honestly think of one that provides a level of service worth paying extra for.  I have one telco distro that comes close, but barely. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 08, 2017

For the most part, ADI provides good customer service

You have to be kidding? I have been an (only when I had to) customer of ADI since 1987 and it has always been a Rocky road at best. There were branches where  one person  had some background in electronic security. I have worked with branches in (3) different states Florida, Tennessee, Virginia and Arizona so its not just one branch its the company culture to push whatever at the best price they can slam you for. Not a big deal, Tri-Ed same thing, all of them suck in differing ways, you are always better to establish relationships and get the hell out of the Distribution ( located right around the corner) trap.

(1)
(2)
UM
Jul 08, 2017

Establish relationships and go where?

i was comparing ADI to LTS. 

Do you shop at LTS?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 18, 2017
I have, they seemed like fine folks and super fast shipping and follow-up with many phone calls seeking my business.
(1)
Joseph Parker
Aug 18, 2017

I've shopped 2 different ADI branches with some frequency, and in my experience the branch staff makes 100% of the difference.  And as far as them trying to get their best price I don't get angry at people for being capitalist, as I'm trying to the same thing.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jul 10, 2017

I shop anywhere I can get the feature sets I prefer at the best price, why not?

(2)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #4
Jul 11, 2017

My guess is that LTS=Hikvision direct

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 11, 2017
IPVM

I have heard that rumor repeatedly but no one has provided any proof.

I am not saying I believe or do not believe, but for us to report it, it needs some proof of Hikvision's direct control / ownership / etc. of LTS. Anyone who has that - email us at info@ipvm.com

(2)
U
Undisclosed #5
Aug 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If Hik does control LTS, I wouldn't be surprised if Lauren, Tonya and Stacy are behind it ;)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions