Subscriber Discussion

LPR Based Access Control?

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm in the proccess of protyping an home automation system based on LPR, discussed here.

For starters, an automatic garage door opener based on the plate would be nice.  Has anyone done anything like this?

Is plate spoofing a concern?

Brian Karas
Dec 06, 2016
IPVM

I have actually tried this a while back. For me, it was easy to implement at the basic level, NH had front license plates, and my driveway was fairly long and private, so plenty of time to catch a plate, and minimal "noise" in the form of random vehicles.

At the time, my garage doors were controllable through an Indigo home automation system via an Insteon I/O module. Indigo has a lot of scripting capabilities, so it is easy to interface other software to it.

It worked OK, but I never got it to the point that it did everything I wanted. Sometimes I did not want the garage door to open, I was just going to park in the driveway and not in the garage (going back out soon, etc.). Other times, it would re-trigger if a vehicle was left out overnight, and then the plate became visible again later. Much of this could be fixed through software tweaks, or tying in other sensors and logic, but in the end it's not that hard to hit the button on the visor when I'm coming up the drive.

Alerting on vehicles detected with unknown plates is a useful thing though.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Alerting on vehicles detected with unknown plates is a useful thing though.

Yes, and other foreign, yet known ones, like my Mother-in-law's, for instance.

In that case I'm thinking of a Beethoven's Fifth distinctive alert :)

(1)
Ml
Mendy lewis
Dec 07, 2016
Safezone24

Geovision he's good solution

Justin Gant
Dec 07, 2016
7PiXL

Visualint has a solution that works well but camera placement is key.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions