Subscriber Discussion

Lower-Bandwidth Requirement HEVC(H.265) IP Cameras, For When ??

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 03, 2015

Just read this news article this morning: with the author referencing his own book at the end which talks about "how America paid over $400 billion and counting, to be the first fully fiber optic-based nation yet ended up 27th in the world for high-speed Internet".

As a Security Integrator myself, I am betting more on better CODECs launching "sooner" and taking over the mass IP Megapixel CCTV market (thus lowering bandwidth requirements for remote live videos); rather than wait for better Broadband Speeds (meaning faster and cheaper cost$$ for end users) to be offered by the local ISP/ nationwide Carriers.

Anybody knows of the state of HEVC/H.265 current development-licensing; are they launching official REAL products this year 2015 ?? so that I can share a little hope in the future with my customers in that they will not have to continue "just-sucking-it-up" regarding sloooow speeds & making low FPS/low resolution sacrifices when viewing IP cameras via their HD-retina display iPads, HD-laptops and HD-smartphones remotely.

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

There's hope, since

iPhone 6 has H.265 already.

Some Dahua NVR's have H.265 already.

Can you stream a Dahua NVR to an iPhone via H.265?

Exactly how Apple is implementing H.265 is unknown at this time, but considering the feature is restricted to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, some speculate the new A8 SoC incorporates a specialized encoder/decoder module not present in older handsets.

???

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Today, (actually yesterday), must be your lucky day:

Hot off the press... Now I have to get one of them 4K NVRs...

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 03, 2015
IPVM

For H.265, we will all know more in a few weeks after the Spring new product announcements are made. I suspect there to be some well-known manufacturers embracing H.265.

That said, I am skeptical about bandwidth savings. Even within H.264, there are lots of differences in bandwidth consumption even when the obvious things are controlled (resolution, frame rate, compression). For example, see: IP Camera Bandwidth / Storage Shootout

Also, Axis is now positioning its Zipstream as delivering just as much savings as H.265 but within H.264. We will have test results of that by end of April.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Are there plans to test a Dahua 4K, h.265 DVR?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 03, 2015
IPVM

Does it exist in reality / production?

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

What's your experience like with aliexpress? (29 in stock, a nice odd number)

I have yet to be burned, but only have used them a couple times.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 03, 2015
IPVM

It's an NVR, so where are the H.265 IP Cameras?

Also, this line is a yellow flag:

H.265/H.264/MJPEG dual codec decoding

Dual codec but lists three codecs? I've seen games like this before.

I'd like to get Dahua confirmation first.

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

In this case we are talking about streaming h.265, so technically it wouldn't need h.265 cameras. See iTunes page above. Could it really be transcoding? Dunno.

Here is a better link for aliexpress, where the part number matches the Dahua. As for the dual codec verbiage, apparently their English has not advanced in step with their technology, shown below.

Claudio Almeida
Apr 04, 2015

Hikvision presented its first equipments with H.265 compression at recent ISC Brazil:

Hikvisin booth at ISC Brazil 2015

Probably they will be showing that at ISC Las Vegas too.

(1)
SM
Steve Mitchell
Apr 06, 2015

This is a case where the fragmentation and "open" nature of the surveillance market is working against us. Given the need to decode (or transcode) H265 and its increased CPU requirements, we'll be the last industry to fully realize its benefits.

Drivers will be transmission bandwidth--although customers don't care about this directly--it needs to be explained to them, and storage, which customers find more directly compelling. But in the storage case they can get a bigger disk with lesser expense than new cameras AND new clients.

It will be great to have new H265 products on the market, but they'll need to be available at all price points and will not saturate the market for at least an obsolescence cycle or two.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions