Subscriber Discussion

Low Temperature Lens (Process Recording)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 14, 2016

Hi All,

I have a client that wants to record their industrial process. The issue is that the temperature of the process may eventually get down to -100C (-148F) and, to no one's surprise, things tend to get brittle and break at super low temps.

Does anyone know of any lenses, preferably pinhole, that are rated for a low temperature? It does not have to be -100C, but anything below -20C or -40C would be a good start.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Just the lens, or the camera as well?

UI
Jan 14, 2016

Just the lens, the process is somewhat on the small side.

Brian Karas
Jan 14, 2016
Pelican Zero

Is a heater on the lens out of the question?

Are you looking for a C/CS mount lens? M-mount?

Whats the temperature range? Is the lens going to go from +30 to -100C?

1/4" sensor? 1/2"? I'm guessing you're looking for something in the 3mm range?

I have no ides off the top of my head, but if you can provide a few more details I can look through some of the catalogs I have from lens companies and see if there is anything even close as a lead.

UI
Jan 14, 2016

Hi Brian,

No specifics, I thought I would get a lens that can handle the cold and go from there.

The process will go from room temperature (+20C) down to -100C (potentially, process is not complete yet).

U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 15, 2016

I don't think I've seen a lens go below -60C.

http://ipvm.com/camera-finder/xwjlp

For -100C, that sounds like something you'd need specially made/ordered. You should also take into account how fast the temperature is dropping. I'd imagine something going from room temperature to extremely low temps too fast is probably going to destroy most lenses regardless of their described resistances.

UI
Jan 15, 2016

I didn't think about the temperature change over time... that is something that we may have to test out as I doubt most vendors test for it specifically.

The cameras that are on the camera finder have heaters built-in, I wonder if anything exists for that low of temperature.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions