Subscriber Discussion

How Do I Quiet Loud Shear Maglocks?

Mark Rindy
May 02, 2017

We provide access and video for a customer and they recently relocated their headquarters.  The glasswork and maglocks (recessed) were installed by others but the customer wants us to come up with a solution for quieting the maglocks. 

Aside from replacing the entire door with a new setup ($10K+), would anyone have suggestions on how to dampen the noise made by the embedded top of frame locks when they engage?

Brian Rhodes
May 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What type of noise is it?

Is it a *clunk* when they bond, or is it a buzzing/ chattering noise when they engage? Or something else?

Mark Rindy
May 02, 2017

It is a loud *clunk*.  We've explained that this is how they work but they still want to exhaust all options.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 02, 2017

If those are Securitron SAM's you might as well rip them out right now and save yourself a lot of grief trying to keep them working and then you will anyways have to replace them, done it all too many times. Never seen a SAM last more than a couple of years.

Can you convince them to install a traditional maglock? You can usually install them without having to replace the whole door.

Brian Rhodes
May 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What sort of closer is on those doors?  It might actually be spring loaded pivots if they are glass doors.  Can you adjust the speed/ position of the door leafs closing to match the fire time of the maglock?

The *clunk* very often is a small gap between the magnet and armature smashing shut when the maglock comes on.  If you can close that, it might quiet things a great bit.

Mark Rindy
May 02, 2017

They are SDC Shear Locks. 

They have sensors so the magnets do not engage until the door is full closed.

We have put in weather stripping around the receiver plates to lessen the “bell Ringing Sound”

The Clunk is loudest when they drop however the engage is still loud.

The ceiling is hard lid with less than half an inch of clearance to the door.   Traditional Maglocks would require opening up the ceiling to reinforce the maglock mounting.

The receiver plates are raised to their highest possible point without dragging on the ceiling.

Brian Rhodes
May 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Ah, they are shear locks.  The problem is clear now.  It sounds like door adjustments are out.  It sounds like a problem caused by gravity!

Has SDC offered any help?  I've seen some springs that prevent a sharp drop when power is cut, and SDC may have a kit like this.

UI
May 04, 2017

"The ceiling is hard lid with less than half an inch of clearance to the door. Traditional Maglocks would require opening up the ceiling to reinforce the maglock mounting."

I guess I can't really picture this -  is there no door frame on top of the door?

Michael Silva
May 02, 2017
Silva Consultants

I have run across numerous projects that have experienced the same problem that you are describing. Unfortunately, the only real solution is to replace the shear locks with surface mounted locks.

I wrote a Security Tip on the problem with shear locks a few years back. 

(3)
MC
Marty Calhoun
May 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Sounds like one of those jobs that you just can win no matter what you throw at it?

(1)
Mark Rindy
May 04, 2017

Thank you gents for your assistance on this!  Michael, should have known that you would have covered this at some point :).

SD
Shannon Davis
May 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

There is no real way to silence the clunk from shear locks. They can be quieted somewhat with door adjustments to keep the two parts closer together upon closure. The closer the armature to the maglock will keep the noise down. These require constant maintenance for both the locks and the doors. Like others have said install a regular maglocks instead. Architects like to spec these as they "Look nicer" but not having to deal with the annoyance of them down the road. I will say if the body of the lock is factory cut by the door company there aren't as many issues as it is typically a much tighter fit.

U
Undisclosed #2
May 05, 2017

The noise is a feature, not a flaw.

I'm actually not joking. 

By nature, shear locks MUST have a separation between the lock and the armature to function. If they dont, the door can hang/catch/bind and actually trap someone inside because the armature plate catches and won't allow the door to open. I've seen it happen.

Adjusting the door to bring the armature closer to the lock is a bad idea.  As the lock wears over time, it increases the likelihood it will fail. 

Worse yet, there are ZERO good solutions. Blumcraft devices with electrified top strikes are noisy.  Maglocks are noisy. Shear locks are noisy (and really stupid).

The only option is to replace the doors and put motorized panics on them.  The quietest option, and the most secure.  

(1)
(1)
UI
May 06, 2017

Maybe its time to do a poll, which installer/integrator actually recommends a shear maglock? (after they have had to deal with one)

Maybe there is someone out there who has a success story.

Chuck Janzer
May 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We are presently working with a long time customer that is refreshing their corporate headquarters.  The architect sold them on bidirectional floor to ceiling glass doors in many locations.  The first set was in the executive suite.  When we got brought into the job, the doors were specified and being built.  I warned them over and over to get a proof of concept done before placing these things everywhere.  When finally installed, and they heard them, they didn't think they were all that bad - I had them prepared for really loud clunks.  They did change the design though, they have them unlocked during the day, with a panic switch at the receptionist to lock them if needed. That button then becomes a release if locked.  

The devices are Schlage GF3000 series.  Not really as bad as I had thought they'd be. By far less 'clunky' than all of the previous units we've dealt with.  We also had them change the release design to "no prior knowledge" glass pulls made by Access Door, Inc.  The door people have no idea how to set up and adjust this stuff, so our tech had to be on site to install all of the electronics. 

Overall, the customer is satisfied and we've now made about a dozen operational. Some are in use 24/7 and they now use those clunks as a door annunciator into some of the suites.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions