Subscriber Discussion

Power Loss Corrupts SD Recording In Samsung Camera?

JG
Jeff Grimes
Jun 01, 2014

The other day I experienced a brief (30 second) power outage. The next day I noticed that my Samsung SNV-6084R camera had not recorded an motion events - which it definitely should have. I dung into the settings and found that the SD Recording setting had a "error" message instead of "recording".

I turned the SD recording off, turned it back on again, and then formatted the disk. This seemed to work; the camera began recording motion events again. However, the next day that I checked the event log, nothing was found. Again, the SD recording menu had the same "error" message. I repeated the steps above, and got the same result. The camera instructions do indicate that a loss of power while SD recording is enabled can lead to the loss of images on the chip...but it appears to cause much more harm than loss of images.

It seems that the power outage somehow corrupted the Micro SD card, and once recordings reach that spot on the chip, the camera loses the ability to record to it. I went to the store a purchased a new micro SD card...and a Battery UPS.

Is this a common problem when recording to micro SD cards, or is this issue unique to Samsung? Does anyone know if the seemingly corrupted SD card can be salvaged?

Thanks,

Jeff

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Jun 01, 2014

The camera instructions do indicate that a loss of power while SD recording is enabled can lead to the loss of images on the chip...but it appears to cause much more harm than loss of images.

Power loss can of course cause logical corrupt of file systems, usually because the inode pointer list gets left in an incomplete/inconsistent state. Especially since Samsung's file system is most likely, for performance/capacity reasons, not a journalled (JFS) one. But as you say physical damage is not usually cause by power outage.

Most likely culprit in this case is not the power outage per se, but more likely the power resumption, which depending on what caused the outage and whether it was a controlled disruption, often consists of one or more power surges that can often cause electronic devices trouble. So what do you remember about how the power came back? Did it stutter when it went out? Sometimes you can see the lights noticeably brighten for half a sec on resumption... Typical surge suppressors of course don't help with this type of surge because they are meant for lightning level suppression...

Of course no need to answer if you were able to shutoff the camera before the power came back on... Either way, have you tried formatting the sd card on a pc and then seeing what windows says about it? You can run a test for bad sectors and have it ignore any it finds. This probably would not help for using in the camera though as you would most likely need to reformat it for linux...

Marc Pichaud
Jun 01, 2014

Hi Jeff, this is common technical support nowadays not for Samsung only: cut power or remove SDcard during a recording forgetting that you have motin detect or tampering ...and you can either get an error on last recording or crash the complete SD Card which needs to be re-formated

Solution : good POE budget on the switch (ideally L2+ with POE fixed management ) and active UPS to prevent up/down power surges and micro power losses, and desable motion or tampering before SD card removing

By the way SD card footages still not crypted can be accessed without any password by anybody. Far from individual security regulation in most countries

SC
Sergio Collazo
Jun 02, 2014

Hi Jeff,

Since I don't have your contact info, please contact our Tech Support directly at "cctv.techsupport@samsung.com", or call in "877-213-1222".

We need following information to better assist you:

1) Please take and send us pictures of SD card, both sides

2) Provide us camera configration files

Best Regards,

Forest

JG
Jeff Grimes
Jun 02, 2014

Thanks to all for your input. I went ahead and purchased a new micro SD card and also got a battery UPS for the camera. I chalk this up as one of life's little lessons.

Forest - I'll go ahead and contact tech support to make sure they don't have any further recommendations for me. Thank you for providing the contact info,

Jeff

JG
Jeff Grimes
Jun 03, 2014

Well, I think I spoke too soon. Yesterday morning I installed a new SD Card, formatted it and everything worked fine. As of about 10:30PM last night, there were over 250 motion events recorded, and about 2Gb of the 64Gb card had been used. I checked the camera again this morning, and the SD recording was back in the "Error" state. I turned changed the SD record setting to "off" and then "on" again, and found that the last recording was about 00:50AM. By resetting the SD Recording option, the camera is back in record mode, and I see that it still has about 2Gb used (so it didn't erase the events of yesterday). For whatever reason, it just quits recording.

* I'm recording on a new SanDisk Extreme Plus 64Gb Micro SD card
* Camera is powered by a PoE injector, which is the only device plugged into a battery UPS (thus the only power draw is the PoE for this single camera, which should last quite a while).

I'll be contacting Samsung support, but in the meantime are there any thoughts? Maybe reload the firmware?

Thanks,

JH
John Honovich
Jun 03, 2014
IPVM

Jeff, were the new and original SD cards used the same make / model / size? I am just curious if they might have made a difference.

JG
Jeff Grimes
Jun 03, 2014

John,

The first/original card was a SanDisk 64Gb Ultra shown here:
 SanDisk Ultra microSDHC and microSDXC UHS-I Cards

and the new SD card is a SanDisk 64Gb Extreme Plus

SanDisk Extreme PLUS microSDHC/microSDXC UHS-I Card

Same make and size, but the new card is higher quality...

JH
John Honovich
Jun 03, 2014
IPVM

Jeff, thanks for the feedback!

I searched for the difference between 'Ultra' and 'Exterme Plus'. Weirdly, I could not find a clear comparison of the differences. Crazily, SanDisk's own comparison section is just filled with marketing mumbo jumbo so that does not help.

I found this other comparison on their product page but it's not much clearer:

If anyone finds any details technical comparison on SD card models / lines / series, please share. I am curious how much that will impact performance.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Jun 03, 2014

From this page, then each link has more info.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 03, 2014
IPVM

Rukmini,

Good find and feedback.

I noticed the main tech spec difference is speed rating, specifically UHS-x.

I've started a new discussion on this: Are UHS Speeds Needed For SD Cards Used In Surveillance?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions