Subscriber Discussion

Ubiquiti Is Getting Sued For Unlawfully Using Software

James Talmage
Feb 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

For pirating chip design software? Really? I'm sure it is not cheap software, but Ubiquiti sells so many freaking units, surely it's inconsequential to their bottom line.

Synopsis claims Ubiquiti Networks is unlawfully using software

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 14, 2017
IPVM

Here is the 9 page complaint filed in court.

Key claims:

Synopsys’ License Key system is a built-in security system that controls access to its licensed software by requiring a user to access a key code provided by Synopsys in order to execute the licensed software. This key code controls the quantity and term of the licensed software in accordance with the license terms.

Defendants have never obtained a valid license from Synopsys to access and use the EDA software that is at issue herein.

Beginning at a time unknown to Synopsys, Defendants have been using counterfeit keys obtained or created with tools obtained through hacker websites to circumvent the Synopsys License Key system and access and use Synopsys’ EDA software, including at least its Debussy, Design Compiler, Formality, HSPICE, IC Compiler, Laker, Nlint, nWave, PrimeTime, Synplify Pro AV, Synplify Premier AV, TetraMAX, VCS, and Verdi applications, without a valid license.

Upon information and belief, Defendants Ubiquiti and Ubiquiti International have used counterfeit keys to circumvent the Synopsys License Key access-control system at least 39,000 times by 15 usernames

If true, that would be extremely embarrassing for Ubiquiti.

(3)
Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Wow! How asinine! I guess we know how they keep their costs down now....

(1)
(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Feb 15, 2017

Can you imagine how much money would be made by software companies if China would allow this kind of legal suites to happen!

Every single company in China steals software, because nobody is scared of any consequences.

I won't finger point, but I think maybe Russia has similar concepts on software also.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions