Subscriber Discussion

Looking For The Best 180 Degree Camera On The Market At Present For Public Street Surveillance?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 04, 2016

Hi Guys

I am look around and trying to find a 180 degree multi lenses camera that provides 20fps and integrates with the Genetec VMS. Is there a superior product on the market .

Has anybody used the Axis 3708-PVE or 3709-PVE. What are they like in low light environments?

[IPVM Test: Q3709-PVE here]

Has anybody tested the Hikvision DS-2CD6986F cameras.?

Please share with me your experiences.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Nov 04, 2016

The Digital Watchdog 48MP panoramic is pretty badass. Had great frame rate when I played with it but the bandwidth is pretty high when you run it at anything above 5fps. Not ideal for wireless.

https://ipvm.com/reports/48mp-panoramic-camera-dw

MC
Marty Calhoun
Nov 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Look no more you have found the best:

HIKVISION DS-2CD6986F-(H) appropriately named "the Stitcher"

The Stitcher

(5)
(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Nov 04, 2016

Hum.. I am concerned with the reliability of these. They run extremely hot to the point where you almost can't hold them. So far we have a 100% failure rate as the first one had to be sent back for RMA. Sent it back about a month ago and still don't have the replacement. Also this camera is huge.

(2)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Nov 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hate to hear that as we have installed several without issue. We normally test in our shop all new cameras designs before putting them out for installation and we had no heat issues whatsoever during the test stage.

Thanks for the info

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 05, 2016

Ours never made it off the test bench. What concerns me the most is the time it is taking to get this camera fixed which is going on a month now. Is this normal for Hikvision? We are used to next day advanced replacement and it doesn't seem Hikvision offers this.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Mike + Marty,

speaking of hik multi-imagers, is this camera available in N.A. yet?

Gert Molkens
Nov 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Anybody tried the Vivotek?

Ethan Ace
Nov 04, 2016

We have a test of the Vivotek 12MP IR Multi-Imager Tested. It was pretty solid. Actually one of the best multi-imagers we've tested due to the built in IR. It stitches in the camera, though, which results in a really weird aspect ratio, so you'd likely need to create custom layouts for it to get the best view.

(3)
(1)
Gert Molkens
Nov 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Ethan,

Have you tried it in Nx Witness? Should be less of a problem due to the fkexdble lay outs i suppose.

I'll try to get my hands in a demo unit to see how it behaves

Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 05, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I've seen the Hikvision in person and it looked pretty good. There was some strange issues where the imagers overlapped, but I think that may have been an aiming issue? Also, the image was stretched in height to almost a 4:3 image, even though it is 4x1080p imgagers side by side. I would like to get my hands on one before writing it off entirely.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Nov 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Get one from your rep for testing and run it though the mill, I would like to know how it works out for you as well because I have many in a designed system for a building under construction. I had this camera on Show Truss system for several days with no problems.

The way it is built and feels is way better than the Arecont for sure. Make sure you have the latest firmware also, i'm sure you already know that but tossed in in anyway....

JR
John Robinson
Nov 06, 2016

I'm actually a little shocked you got your hands on one. This has been the mystery camera for almost a year. I've got about 10 dead Arecont's sitting on the floor of my shop that I've decided not to pay the $500 ransom to get them repaired, and I've been telling my customers to "hold on, this is coming".

A google search only yields overseas results. Go to hikvision's US site and it's not listed among the product line or via search. I've been asking ADI for a product number since May and it just got added. (and it's special order).

I'd love to get a few reviews on them if and when they ever become available.

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 06, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Contact your RSM. I saw one at a Hik Roadshow event. I would have liked to had a chance to play with it hands on, but wasn't able to stay for the whole show. Had a job site down the road that had to be attended to.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Nov 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Work closer with your rep and ask for one for evaluation

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Nov 07, 2016

I'd stay away from the Arecont. Haven't had great success with image quality or stability.

(2)
Jeffrey Hinckley
Nov 08, 2016

The one advantage of the areconts is that with many vms systems, it only requires one license. The Hikvision looks intriguing and I believe it uses Darkfighter technology, which I like alot. I believe though that it requires 4 licenses, at least with Exacqvision. Per IP address with other systems, this may not be the case.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Nov 08, 2016

The DW IS integrated w/ Genetec, btw...

disclosure: I'm a DW rep

UI
Nov 08, 2016

DW Rep?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Nov 08, 2016

Yes, I am.

UI
Nov 08, 2016

Hi Guys,

has anyone tested the Hikvision camera on Genetec can you see it as a panoramic image and can do you need four channel licences?

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

fyi, Hik cameras are no longer supported by Genetec :(

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Nov 08, 2016

Are you sure ?

We installed a few in a SC5.4 without any problems through Generic extension.

Btw Bosch has a great 180° panoramic camera with 12MP resolution you could go with that. Genetec can dewarp it.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 08, 2016
IPVM

#1 and #6, I am sure about Genetec dropping Hikvision. I am wrapping up a post that explains the details, will be published in ~2 hours.

RS
Robert Shih
Nov 08, 2016
Independent

Quick addendum from a Genetec employee.

Bruno Dutey: Hello, how may I help you?

Robert Shih: Hello! I've heard that you have dropped support for Hikvision recently. Are you going to continue Dahua support?

Bruno Dutey: Thank you for contacting us. Hikvision has been removed from our pricelist due to security concerns. Cameras from that manufacturer are still available, however licensing will come at a higher cost and end users would need to sign a waiver. A press release with more details on this topic is set to be published soon.

In regards of Dahua

Everything is business as usual, we are not planning on removing any other manufacturer from our supported device list

Robert Shih: Will you also update to support Dahua's new h.265 products?

I am particularly inquiring about this model: http://www1.dahuasec…cts/ipc-pfw8601-a180-3341.htmlIPC-PFW8601-A180IPC-PFW8601-A180

Bruno Dutey: Usually new cameras are tested within 3 months of release and then published in our website. Unfortunately I don't any have access to the list of cameras that our engineers are working on

Robert Shih: What is the outlook though?

Bruno Dutey: Unfortunately there is not really an estimated guess that I could give you with the information I have. However if the camera uses the Onvif protocol you could most likely be able to get a basic videostream but any other functions might not work

Is there anything else I can help with?

Robert Shih: Mainly, I'm asking for a member of IPVM who was interested in a panoramic 180 degree multiimager camera

I wonder though, do multi-imager cameras count for a single license or multiple? Read

Bruno Dutey: It would depend on the exact model

Some of them need multiple licenses

John Bazyk
Nov 10, 2016
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

We have recently been selling a lot of Digital Watchdogs 12MP panos. They work extreemly well. Their 48MP is pretty cool but often overkill for what we're using them for. Bandwidth on the 12MP pano isnt much more than a standard camera as it's output is 1080p.

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 10, 2016

So it's 12mp but it outputs a single 1080p image?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Nov 11, 2016

Connect with Logipix for a 200 MP stitched panoramic 180 degree solution. Results are fantastic... My comment here is purely from technical point andquality of video.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions