Subscriber Discussion

Looking For Recommendations To Convert HDMI To RTSP

Jon Dillabaugh
May 19, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

Have a client that has multiple fast casual restaurants that use HDMI to output to make line displays that he would like to capture as a camera stream (ONVIF/RTSP). His reasoning is he would like to quickly check how far behind the kitchen is at his varied locations along with the camera feeds side by side. I know of products that exist, but I was hoping to get first hand advice from those who have tried this before. Seems like a lot of people use these types of devices to stream TV (eg. Slingbox), but I don't see many marketed for surveillance.

MD
Matthew Del Salto
May 20, 2018
Hudson Security

Jon,

If you are interested in a software solution that works on Windows this is what we have used for some clients to record the screen directly. - Desktop Camera

As far as HDMI to ONVFI:

American Dynamics - HDMI Monitor Encoders

Or the old amazon way: J-Tech Digital Encoder

PS. I have not used any hardware encoders just the software solution above.

Jon Dillabaugh
May 20, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

Thanks Michael. The source is an iPad, not a PC, so I don’t think the software solution will work in this case. I will check out the hardware you provided. 

Fredrik Ahlsen
May 21, 2018

Dahua got HDMI to HDCVI converters.

Then connect them to a HCVR or XVR to get rtsp streams.

HCVRs and XVRs work as encoders in most VMS.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 21, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

I’m not going to add a Dahua recorder just for this task. Way too complicated. Not enough space for that either. These are small footprint stores that I don’t get much rack space in. 

JS
Joe Summanen
May 21, 2018

I'm a big fan and user of Antrica encoders.  They are rock solid, and if you're looking for a good iOS app to view, I recommend CamViewer.

Antrica - Video Encoders

CamViewer for IP Web Cams

j

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 21, 2018

Antrica

Jon Dillabaugh
May 21, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

Where does one source Antrica products in the USA?

JS
Joe Summanen
May 21, 2018

You can source them from MicroAge.

j

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 21, 2018
Azure Developments US, Ltd
215-527-4982
sales@azure-US.com

Sean Patton
May 21, 2018

As an integrator, one that I tested and liked was the ionodes ION-E100-HD. 

Ionodes - ION-E100-HD

(1)
(1)
JR
John Richardson
May 22, 2018

I can vouch for this one too.

(1)
(1)
Jared Tarter
May 21, 2018
Milestone Systems

Hi Jon,

Marshall Electronics also makes an ONVIF compliant HDMI encoder.  We have multiple customers using it with our software.

Ethan Ace
May 21, 2018

We haven't done a full blown test of it, but we've been using one of these boxes I found on Amazon for several months and it's pretty solid. It is not officially ONVIF conformant, but they claim it's "compliant" anyway. It seems to work fine via ONVIF so far, but we've mainly just been using the RTSP stream, which has been totally solid. 

My one complaint is that there's no looping output, so you need to split it if you want to connect a monitor, too. It's not a problem for us as the main use case is capturing mobile app screens via an Airplay/Miracast dongle, but it would be nice to have.

Jon Dillabaugh
May 21, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

Yes, I only need an input from an HDMI switch. The source is an iPad connected to an Apple TV via Airplay, output to the HDMI switch. There is an available port to use on the HDMI switch to grab the signal. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions