Subscriber Discussion

Looking For Recommendations For Temperature Monitoring At Storage Facility

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 07, 2017

I have a storage facility looking to monitor temperatures in 36 individual storage units. All 36 units are in one building about 300 ft long. Only need to worry about freezing temperatures for the sprinkler system. We are familiar with this type of monitoring on small scale (1-4 sensors) but haven't provided a temperature monitoring system of this size before. If this is successful, we will look to implement at customer's other facilities in 3 different states. Servicing the equipment in multiple states is a big concern, so we need something reliable. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.  

Matthew Netardus
Mar 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We have had good success on the other end of the spectrum with the Axis Q2901-E camera, linked up with a VMS (though it can handle email alerts internally so depending on what you are looking for alert wise you may not require a VMS). We are using those cameras to monitor a factory roof to determine if heat is rising too rapidly, or if the temperature near any vent goes above a pre-approved level (i.e. there are flames)- this then sends alerts to several employees to give them a heads up (my favorite part of that is using temperature delta to alert them before the flames actually hit). 

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 07, 2017

Is the customer looking to self-monitor or do they want the central station to monitor the temps?

Here are some network based self-monitoring options:

http://avtech.com/

https://serverscheck.com

http://www.controlbyweb.com 

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 08, 2017

We do something very similar with water detection in a 100-unit condo complex.

Using a Paradox security system (or DSC, or Honeywell, whatever the preference), we have the main panel in the server room with zone expansion modules and one power supply on each floor, monitoring 10 suites. If water is detected, a monitoring station calls the building manager and they go up and check the suite.

The same thing could be done with temperature-based detection. I cannot recall the part number (nor can I seem to find it), but places like ADI have thermostats that can be set for high temp and low temp with an output relay to trigger a zone on a security system. If the client wishes to pay for monitoring, they will get a call when an alarm comes in.

(1)
UI
Mar 08, 2017

Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated.  They will self monitor.  We originally planned on providing temperature monitoring through a Bosch intrusion panel but now that they have expanded to 36 separate zones, we're thinking a better option is out there.  Thanks again.

Scott Bradford
Mar 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Out of curiosity, why couldn't you do a temperature controlled relay, set it to close a relay at 45F.. and run those close contacts into something else?   Say, a wireless DMP contact transmitter, or something as simple as a strobe light on the outside eve of the building?   

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-One-channel/dp/B00K75QRZA/

In looking at DMP's website, they make a wireless temp sensor..  1115-W 

This is a field I know nothing about, so I'm just tossing out ideas. I'd love to be educated on this sort of application

(1)
UI
Mar 08, 2017

Thanks Scott, I will look into that idea. I will make sure to follow on on this board with our findings and the solution we end up proposing.    

Michael Silva
Mar 08, 2017
Silva Consultants

For simple temperature monitoring applications, I typically specify Winland temperature sensors. These provide a dry-contact output which can be connected to an alarm or access control panel or a voice telephone dialer. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Mar 09, 2017

DSC NEO line has wireless temp sensors. They are individually programmable from the keypad to alert at certain temperatures. No Wires, completely zoned out. Never done on a large scale but I put a few in a and they pretty nice. Very small too. The size of a wireless door contact. 

(1)
GC
Greg Cortina
Mar 09, 2017

I would have to ask how they ended up having a wet sprinkler system in an area that freezes.  

In the fire world that system would be converted to a dry system to prevent water in the downspouts from freezing and breaking the pipes.

What is the plan if they get a freeze alert?

(1)
UI
Mar 09, 2017

After speaking with the GC, we have found that the storage rooms have 16 foot ceilings with 10 foot wall between them.  We're going to provide temperature sensors every 30 ft, roughly.  With only needing 12 sensors, we're going to use Winland, what we've used in the past. It's cost effective and tie into the Bosch intrusion panel.  

Greg, I completely agree with you, I'm not sure how this happened but they have a NFPA-13 sprinkler system which is rated for 40 degrees or higher.  My first recommendation was to do a change order and use a dry or antifreeze system but that wasn't an option.  Our company doesn't do fire and I'm not sure why they can't change the system, maybe cost?  We will set the senors to notify the management at 43 degrees and they will then make sure any roll up door left open will be closed.  

Thanks again everyone for the information.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions