Subscriber Discussion

Looking For Outdoor, Multi-Imager Cameras For Parking Lots WITH IR

Jon Dillabaugh
May 19, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Looking to find some multi-imager (180° or 360°) cameras with good low light ability AND also have IR integrated in case the light levels are too low. We have a client that currently has failing Axis PTZs that need replaced. Was hoping to find a multi-imager similar to the AXIS P3707-PE, but with integrated IR. It would need to be a minimum of four 1080p sensors if 360°, or a minimum of three 1080p sensors of 180°. I would prefer 360°, all else equal.

I did find the Dahua DH-IPC-PFW8601N-H-A180, which is a 180°, three 1080p sensor multi-imager bullet camera with IR integrated (100ft range), but it isn't the prettiest looking thing. Also, the bullet form factor is somewhat strange too, but I guess I am just used to seeing dome based multi-imagers.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
May 19, 2017

They have a dome looking one also, it's new. 

I'm not sure if it has integrated IR though 

Jon Dillabaugh
May 19, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

The one with a PTZ? Hasn't been released yet and I really don't need/want the PTZ, just the multi-imager.

UM
May 19, 2017

It does have IR but they don't have it on the US site, only international: http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-pdbw8800-a180-12111.html 

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 19, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Thanks for the link. Better, but still a little uglier than the Axis and some other brands.

They also seem to be making a bullet version of the four 1080p sensor too.

I'm not sure which sensor type would be better in low light; STARVIS CMOS or Sony EXMOR R CMOS.

UM
May 19, 2017

I was explained that the Starvis is a newer sensor with better low light performance. I've never tested them side by side but according to the literature, low light performance versus other sensors is what makes the new Starvis stand out.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
May 19, 2017

Used a ton of Vivotek multi sensor with success.  Great picture quality and stitching today is not as obvious as in the review IPVM did last year.  

https://ipvm.com/reports/vivotek-ms8391-ev

http://www.vivotek.com/ms8391-ev/#views:view=jplist-grid-view

The wide 16:9 ratio is good for many situations that the Vivotek has.  I hope they do a 4:3 option soon like Hanwha has.

(2)
TB
Tim Ballman
May 22, 2017

Panasonic WV-SFV631L has been an incredibly great camera for us in respects to parking lot deployment. This is a fixed camera, so not quit the 360 cam you are looking for.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
May 22, 2017

Jon,

please take a look at this one. http://digital-watchdog.com/productdetail/DWC-PB2M4TIR/

Thanks

Jon Dillabaugh
May 22, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

The limiting factors of this unit are:

Butt Fugly

Output is only 1080p

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
May 23, 2017

Can you advise on the need for integrated IR?

Not only are you limited in camera selection, but there's pretty much no question that you're likely to get substantially better performance from an external IR.

Just curious on the justification for why it MUST be integral?

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 23, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I'm coming to the conclusion that integrated IR isn't going to be much help. We are going to have to rely on parking lot lighting for illumination. We are going to propose the Axis and see what the client thinks. 

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #5
May 24, 2017

If you need IR, recommend looking to external as integrated units won't have enough output at range, also consider fixed wide angle cameras to give overlapping coverage and use the VMS to trigger motion track on PTZ's. Haven't upgraded yet, but the Axis cameras with light-finder are on my buy-list for our parking lots. 

Brandon Knutson
May 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

UEU#5 I'll be doing something similar in a parking lot, using 2 to 3 Hanwha X-series bullet cameras that "handover" to a X-series PTZ for more detailed auto-tracking. The Hanwha's "handover" is done at the camera level so that's one less thing for my VMS servers to handle. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions