Subscriber Discussion

Expanding Exacq NVR Storage - Options?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 15, 2016

Looking for some ideas for expanding two Exacqvision A series NVR's storage.

Suggestions on 3rd party hard drives & 3rd party storage devices.

S-Series that they offer is a little to rich for my end-user.

Thanks

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Nov 15, 2016

I believe you can add extra WD purple drives to the system if there are open drive bays, however exacq won't support you if they find the issue to be related to your drive. They have spare drives listed as options on the A-series page on their website, but you'd have to check with an Exacq rep if they'd support you adding it after the fact (or would let you purchase it after the fact).

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Nov 15, 2016

WD Purple is the way to go. Much better than Exacq's MSRP $1500.00 of a 6TB HDD non-RAID for the A-Series

Mike Dotson
Nov 16, 2016
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

For 'normal' storage, an iSCSI target device along with a 'dedicated' NIC port to that device will do nicely.

The port must be dedicated because iSCSI tends to 'not share the BW nicely'.

The 'Archive' storage must be a SMB (shared) device. You can make just about any Windows system into one of these. Be sure to match the OS versions between the server and target.

Be sure to consider a device that supports a RAID config to protect your data and potentially provide a performance boost if you have enough spindles in the array.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Nov 16, 2016

I've had no issues adding our own drives to any Exacq server. As far as support, they obviously do not warranty the third party drives but we've never had any issues. If the DVD drive isn't used, pull it out and use that bay for a drive. Western Digital is my choice as well, either the Enterprise or the Purple NV line.

As far as S series it has been too expensive for our users as well. So I would echo Mikes comments. The Archive function has worked very well for us.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 16, 2016

Thanks you all for the great feed back, I'm going to go with the Purple NV line.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Nov 16, 2016

we have been using the Purple Drives without issue, just a heads up you will need an adapter if using the A Series DVD Drive Slot for sure, but do yourself a favor and buy an adapter plate, I know I wish i had them the last time i did it.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Mounting-Bracket-Adapter-Metal/dp/B0094D8UGU

(3)
Mike Dotson
Nov 16, 2016
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

A heads up for this type of bracket that comes from our experience in our design labs.

These are 'half size' brackets that depend on the 'middle' mounting holes of the 3.5 drive (side or bottom)

This limits the drives to 4TB and smaller ones because most 5TB and all larger ones only have the outer end mounting holes.

Per the SATA drive physical spec...the center holes were only 'optional'.

(2)
Ryan Hulse
Nov 16, 2016

[Note: Poster is From Exacq]

If you find you cannot add drives internally, if you are using exacqVision Professional or Enterprise you have support for "extended storage". our S-Series is pre-configured and ready to go for this role, but if that doesn't fit the project requirements, you can also use any iSCSI storage device.

Ty Gruner
Nov 17, 2016
Seagate Technology
Note: I work for Seagate.

Hey Undisclosed Integrator 1,

It is certainly long overdue that we start engaging with the SV community, I am the Surveillance lead for North America at Seagate and have been hard at work (with many of my colleagues) to improve on our past short comings, primarily a lack of focus on our part so for that I apologize. That is however no longer the case so expect to see a whole lot more of us!

While we originally created the 'SV' drive 10 years ago, we have just released our 7th generation called 'Skyhawk' with capacities 1 through 10TB. Loads of great features, and embedded RV sensors for multi-bay and RAID applications on the 4TB+.
More info if you are interested @ http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/skyhawk/

I get though, I'm in sales so I fully expect you to be skeptical ;-) Feel free to reach out and I would be happy to send you some drives to test yourself.

Thanks
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Nov 21, 2016

I have used iScsi storage on several projects and it has worked great. I used the StorSAN product. It is very similar to the AD/Tyco storage system.

Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 21, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I know this doesn't apply to your exact (get it) scenario, but I'm using my Synology NAS as an iSCSI target for my Windows Server Backups. Seems to be working great so far. Obviously not the load that a VMS server would put on it, but just wanted to say the cheaper NAS options out there have iSCSI support too.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions