U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 20, 2016

What is the difference of TWDR and WDR?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 20, 2016
IPVM

1, I have never heard 'TWDR' used before but I guess that the 'T' stands for 'true' since people regularly talk about 'true WDR'.

The 'true' is using multiple exposures and is covered in our WDR Tutorial

(1)
Ethan Ace
Sep 20, 2016

I found one instance of TWDR indeed meaning "True Wide Dynamic Range", on a no name camera here.

(1)
MT
Matt Transue
Sep 20, 2016

It could stand for 'Terrible'. Maybe some truth in marketing for once?

(3)
Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 21, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

In the world of Wide Dynamic Range, you have two types:

1. True WDR
  2. Digital WDR
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
Sep 21, 2016

If it is coming from an Asian OEM, from experience TWDR stands for True WDR, which is when two differently exposed images are superimposed together to make a single, (hopefully) better exposed image. The only downisde is that with some cameras, you will get ghosting and loss of detail on objects that are moving. This is because the two images are taken one after another and any moving object will be in two seperate locations when each image is taken before they are merged. Depending on what you are looking at, this may not be an issue though.

U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The only downisde is that with some cameras, you will get ghosting and loss of detail on objects that are moving.

Another downside of MWDR (multi-exposure wdr, lets call it this, since there are new improved forms of wdr on the horizon that do not use multi-exposure) is that many cameras maximum frame rate will be halved because they are using 2 frames in for every 1 out.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions