Subscriber Discussion

Looking For Information On P4000 Versus 1080ti

JE
Jerome Ellis
Jan 13, 2019

When building surveillance workstations eg 4-6 monitors with 8-16 cameras each monitor, do gaming workstations (i7 8700k with dual 1080ti ) (an available config from dell online) perform equivalent to a professional workstation xeon processor with dual nvidia p4000 which companies like seneca sell for premium prices?

MM
Michael Miller
Jan 13, 2019

Looks like P4000 is cheaper then 1080Ti though you're getting 11GB of RAM vs 8GB.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 13, 2019

Gaming PCs may perform similarly but are typically made out of lesser quality parts.  Much like everything there is a difference between pro grade and consumer grade product.  This is a bit like the question is surveillance providers always get - “why can’t I just pick up cameras from Costco?”

This article from Autodesk can help to explain the differences.

(1)
Vincent Tong
Jan 14, 2019

I wouldn't really say that gaming chips as the 1080TI are made of lesser quality parts than the professional equivalent as the Quadro parts.  It however tends to have more ram and drivers are tend to be more optimized towards the professional programs side.  The main difference besides the drivers is that i see is that the professional versions have a longer support and shelf life than the gaming counterparts that usually goes EOL'd pretty fast.

SK
Sebastian Kratzke
Jan 13, 2019

Quadro should have much more encoding/decoding capacities than GeForce/Consumer/Gamer cards.

Although same processors might be used Nvidia limits them for non datacenter models (concurrent sessions).

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 13, 2019
IPVMU Certified

IMHO, there are three distinct categories, with some overlap:

Consumer PCs, Gaming PCs and Business Workstations

By analogy, a CPC is a Honda Accord, the GPC is a Dodge Challenger and the BW is a Ford F-450.

Which means that both the Gaming and Business offerings will generally outperform the Consumer PC, but after that it is less clear to performance.

GPCs and BW often have similar high-end graphics cards.  But CPU wise GPCs often have higher clock speed with few cores.  Also BWs normally have ECC memory, which is more reliable if slightly slower.  Construction and power supply is generally more robust for BWs as well.

IMHO, you’re better off with the truck than the sports car.

Jared Tarter
Jan 14, 2019
Milestone Systems

The answer to this will also largely depend on the VMS you are using.  If the client doesn't super offloading the video decoding to the Nvidia cards then the only purpose they would serve is too render the video.  The same goes for the processor choice.  If the client supports Intel Quick Sync for video decoding then it would be beneficial to choose a processor that supports Quick Sync.

Also, Quadro cards are designed for 24/7 use so if this is going to be in a command center or part of a video wall then I would definitely lean towards a Quadro card.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions