Subscriber Discussion

Looking For Information On Megachips

Mark Jones
Jul 28, 2015

Anyone ever heard of this company or product?? I received some information yesterday. Just curious at this point. http://www.megachips.us/products/voc.php

JH
John Honovich
Jul 28, 2015
IPVM

Mark, it appears they have a 'Video over Coax' / Ethernet over Coax component that some suppliers are integrating. Is that what you are talking about or received some information about?

Mark Jones
Jul 28, 2015

Yes John. I saw something similar years ago with analog. Multiple analog cameras on one piece of coax. It never worked well at all. I am wondering if this is a similar attempt? It would appear to me they are attempting to run multiple IP cameras over one coax. Anyone every run across this type of equipment??

JH
John Honovich
Jul 28, 2015
IPVM

Evidently they are partnered with Xingtera and here are some of the products for sale. I'll let Ethan comment on the technology / positioning.

Ethan Ace
Jul 28, 2015

They don't look to be all that unique spec-wise. They do offer the ability to use a bus topology, and drop cameras off of a single coax run, like they show here:

Others do this, like NVT and EoC Box (see our EoC Shootout), but don't claim 20 cameras on a single run.

Bitrates are going to determine how many cameras a single run can really support. If you're using HD cameras, and streams are 2 Mb/s, maybe. Higher than that, I believe you're going to run into bandwidth issues, as many of the units we tested topped out at ~60 Mb/s actual throughput.

Not to mention they seem to be supplying 40W of PoE max, so each of those 20 cameras would need to be <2W, and that's not likely.

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Jul 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

It would appear to me they are attempting to run multiple IP cameras over one coax. Anyone every run across this type of equipment??

Nostalgic back story. When I started working with computer networks, probably around 100 years ago, there was a big, thick piece of yellow coax that ran under the carpet by the baseboard. It basically looped around the perimeter of the developers room and back to the server room. Ethernet, CSMA/CD.

When you wanted to add a workstation, you got an AUI vampire tap device and clamped on to the coax wherever you needed it, like this:

We thought it would always be so easy! But then somebody had the bright idea of bring all the tap points back into a central box and running home-runs out to the clients. And so the hub was born.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions