Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision Locking Into Night Mode?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 14, 2017

I have observed Hikvision IP Cameras in default setting locking into Night Mode for an hour after lowering the lighting using Halogen to a point where the Cameras begin to Oscillate between Day & Night.  At 5x Oscillating, they lock for 1 hour.

Ethan Ace
Feb 14, 2017

That's interesting! I've got questions: What camera models have you seen that happen with? And when you say "oscillate", how fast was it switching back and forth?

Do the day/night switch sensitivity and filtering time settings in the camera do anything to change this?

I haven't seen that problem in any of the Hikvision models I've used. But I also haven't specifically checked for it.

UI
Feb 14, 2017

Hi Ethan:  The switching I found is within a few seconds.  I test at default.  I have found that most users unless they are more than novice, use the cameras in default.  I have worked with Camera design engineers that tune the sensitivity for an acceptable switch point to prevent these Oscillations.

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Probably a safety feature to keep the ICR motor from burning out?

UI
Feb 14, 2017

Hi Jon:  I agree, but it seems to me that this is more for the MFG and warranty protection than for the use of the customer.  There may be only 1 in 100 that use a low light level at the right sensitivity to cause this effect, but 1 is too many.

Ethan Ace
Feb 14, 2017

Typically the way cameras switch between day and night is they switch to night at a specific threshold, say 0.5lx for example. But they don't switch back to day until a higher value, like 0.7 or 0.8, as examples.

This keeps them from switching back and forth too fast as light values hover around the same threshold.

However, there are many cameras that use a photo cell, instead of sensing light level based on video, and I do not think it gives that same flexibility on all these models. Though certainly an analog photo cell could report values to the camera, I think a lot of them are digital and preset to a specific threshold. 

At any rate, this is possible with a lot of cameras, and not specific to Hikvision, but I also have not seen it be a major problem in most instances. And I agree with Jon that locking to one mode or another (night is probably a safer bet, especially on IR cameras) is likely intentional in order to keep it from continuously flipping back and forth indefinitely. 

UI
Feb 14, 2017

Yes, I am in agreement for the protection of the mfg, however, it is an easy fix if you are a programmer to create an acceptable switch point.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 15, 2017

Hi,

The locking for 1 hour is definitely a feature added by hikvision to stop the switching. When we were testing Hikvision cameras we discovered this and thought there was some type of bug however after discussing with Hikvision support the feedback was that this was a feature to make sure there is a usable image without the constant switching happening.

Like ethan said above, if the camera has photo cell then it is easy to see this problem occur.

UI
Feb 15, 2017

Hi:  Do you have an opinion on this?  Have you experienced this issue on other Camera Manufacturers?  Thanks and have a great day.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 15, 2017

I thought it was a good feature to overcome this problem of the camera changing constantly from night to day mode. I feel an hour is a little long to be locked into night mode though. maybe 5 minutes would be better. 

I have not seen this feature on other manufacturers though.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 15, 2017
IPVM

Related, in our Day / Night Camera Tutorial, we have a video that talks about cutting over, setting schedules, adjusting sensitivity, etc.:

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions