Subscriber Discussion

What Do You Think About Repositionable Hikvision Dome DS-2DE3304W-DE?

Jim Kirk
Aug 19, 2016

This is a new 3MP mini PTZ repositionable standard outdoor dome (no integrated IR) that looks interesting. Does it offer full PTZ control? What are your thoughts on this?

So is this branding "repositionable PTZ Dome" a new way to intrigue us?

Jim Kirk

Ethan Ace
Aug 19, 2016

I haven't seen this, it's interesting. There is maybe a small trend toward building pan/tilt controls into standard cameras, as Axis also released models with what they call PTRZ (pan/tilt/roll/zoom) operation.

I think it's handy, and maybe it'll become a common feature like motorized zoom has over the past few years. But that camera is relatively expensive, ~$400 online. You can get a 4MP with IR and true WDR and motorized zoom for ~$300.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

For a hundred dollars or so more, (aliexpress.com, so beware), I'd think the Dahua SD52C430U-HN is a better deal:

1. 4MP
  2. 30x Optical Zoom
  3. True WDR
  4. 360 degree Fast panning/tilting

The Hik is super slow > 5 seconds to pan around.

But I think as an general trend it's great! remote focus, zoom and pan/tilt.

Jim Kirk
Aug 19, 2016

I'm a residential home security user and self integrator. I've gone with all Hikvision Smart Pro cameras because I like the analytics and superb integration with their software (iVMS) and NVR (I use a Hikvision NVR, model DS-9632NI-I8-8TB).

I have several 4K domes and they all have motorized zoom 2.8mm-12mm. I also have a 3 MP 36x Network IR PTZ Dome Camera (http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10568_i8510.html) and I love this most of all of the Hikvision cameras but it's just a beast in size and weight. So the new PTZ small dome caught my eye as I was thinking of what I still would like to get.

For better or worse [better I think :)] I'm locked in with Hikvision as I can buy their top end cameras and they just plain work full featured with their NVR.

I got a quote on this camera from 123securityproducts.com for $370 including shipping. They also told me they contacted Hikvision and there is no ETA on this camera yet.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 19, 2016
IPVM

Jim, slightly off topic but can you share some experiences using Hikvison's analytics? What do you use them for? How well do they work?

I am always curious to hear how video analytics works (or not).

Jim Kirk
Aug 21, 2016

John,

I have an interesting way to use my NVR and W10 computer using the same NEC 32" PA322UHD monitor running at 3840 x 2160. I also set up my camera analytic for event recording(not using motion) and adjust the time of day for each event to minimize wind caused shadow movement.

To set up the cameras you have to use the web interface for smart events rather than the NVR software (smart events are on the VCA tab of the NVR software). I see the line/zones with the NVR software but I can't save any changes. Hikvision has a technical bulletin on this set up procedure but-surprisingly-it was not included with information on my NVR and I finally discovered it.
http://overseas.hikvision.com/ueditor/net/upload/2015-06-10/6192e835-16a9-4225-9da6-b2bea78a2ff9.pdf

I set up my cameras using the web interface and the "smart event" tab. I set up my camera(s) using the "smart event tab" to record on line crossing and intrusion detection. I place the detection line/zone and the I set the time for that zone to minimize false triggers due to sun shadows from wind. For example, I use a line crossing to monitor intrusion but late in the day the line gets triggered by wind blown shadows so I end the monitor time and switch to a different zone. I typically set the sensitivity to 50-60% and the threshold to 1 sec but using time to move to a new zone is better for my layout.

The Hikvision PTZ uses smart tracking so when a line/zone is breached the camera will orient to the area of the breach and then zoom in (user setting-I use about x4 zoom could be as much as x36). Then whatever has caused the breach and is moving is tracked by the camera for a pre-record and post record time set by the user (I use 5 sec pre and 30 sec post).

Generally the analytics work well using my tuning schedule to eliminate false alarms (mostly wind blown shadows).

I display all the cameras on my NEC PA322UHD monitor using an HDMI cable from the NVR directly to the monitor at 3840 x 2160 (@30 Hz) which is the best output from the NVR. My desktop computer (W10 Pro) hooks to the same monitor with a display port cable and I have my display card running at the same resolution but @60 Hz. I can look at the cameras from the W10 desktop using iMVS-4200 but its resource intensive and sometimes unstable. So I have a small W10 utility program which I click on from the desktop that puts the monitor to sleep and I set the monitor up to auto switch to display the HDMI from the NVR. Works very good and I do all my monitoring from the NVR which is accessible via a Logitech USB mouse hooked to the NVR. I just pick up the NVR mouse and I am immediately working via the NVR and its display of the events. To get back to my W10 desktop I grab my W10 mouse, move it, and the display wakes up up and I'm back in my W10 desktop mode. Time to switch from W10 to NVR is about 8 seconds.

I also use iVMS-4500 from my iPad and iPhone with an open port on my router for the NVR. This works good also as I can Live View and play back video remotely. Hikvision does do a good job of integrating their IOS software with the NVR.

I'm not monitoring live but I have set up the W10 desktop to auto sleep the monitor and when it does then what shows up is the NVR display since the NEC is set up to auto switch displays. Interesting to watch the NVR output when the analytics are triggered. The display will go full screen for the camera that triggers the event (for a user set time) and then return to showing all cameras again.

Jim

(1)
Jim Kirk
Aug 21, 2016

FYI: There is a central repository of all Hikvision firmware, documents, etc. available for the public.

To get to these go to: ftp://ftp.hikvisionusa.com

and login(case sensitive) with:

• Username: hikfirmware
  • Password: Hikvision123

For Firefox users there is a nice ftp add on called FireFTP.

Jim

Ethan Ace
Aug 22, 2016

Jim, is that kept up to date? I remember using that a couple years back but I thought Hikvision had said to stop using it in lieu of http://tech.hikvisionusa.com/.

I find both of them a pain to navigate and find what I actually need. The Value Plus directory on that FTP, for example, has five different versions listed, with hugely long filenames.

(1)
Jim Kirk
Aug 22, 2016

Ethan,

I'm not sure if the ftp locationI gave or your link is the preferred source. There are more folders on the ftp site and it also shows Technical Bulletins. The reason I linked to it is for a single source showing technical bullentins.

I also use the Hikvision USA site for checking iVMS updates, Tools updates, and firmware (http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/) and then click Support>Downloads.

As an example I checked iVMS-4200 for Windows on 8/22/2016.

• On the ftp site the current version is V2.5.0.5 (1 download for Lite and Full, I use lite on my desktop since I don't need to set up the desktop as an NVR)
  • On your site V2.5.0.5 (separate downloads for Lite and Full)
  • On Hikvision USA Support>Downloads V2.5.0.5 (1 download for Lite and Full)

I agree, it's too confusing not only as to where to check but as to whether you need to it and whether its applicable to you NVR/camera.

To avoid bricking, before I update any firmware for an NVR or smart camera, I send an email to tech support at Hikvision and give them my full NVR/camera information (including serial number) along with the current firmware. I ask if the firmware I want to use (I give them the link and firmware number) will work for my camera.

For iVMS I just make the decision base on the Version number. Then I download and run the exe. Last time I did this it upgraded over the previous version w/o a problem but I had to add all my cameras back in. Jeez this whole thing just give me a headache.

Jim

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

To avoid bricking...

Are you an especially cautious fellow, or have you been especially unlucky?

Jim Kirk
Aug 22, 2016

LOL, I'm a retired Mech Engineering professor who has seen enough people tell me "the upgrade process will work perfectly." Think Microsoft LOL.

Jim

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions