Subscriber Discussion

HID SB10 Smarttouch Readers Needed Or Replacement?

KD
Krish Deokali
Nov 24, 2016

I have sites that are using the HID SB10 SmartTOUCH Biometric + mifare reader. The problem we are faced with now is that HID had discontinued the reader a few years back and have not been able to suggest or recommend an alternate reader. We have tried numerous readers such as the Sagem MorphoAccess J-Dual. They can not read a Mifare card with bio-metrics enrolled on the HID reader. I'm sure that there are other SI's that have experienced a similar issue and that can possibly help with a solution. My 3 sites have a total of 215 Bio-metric readers. The client has no budget to replace them currently. I desperately need to purchase a few units , around 20 new or good second hand units from somebody that may have discontinued or de-installed them from a site.

Brian Rhodes
Nov 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Are you storing the fingerprint template on the cards themselves, or in the reader's networked database?

KD
Krish Deokali
Nov 27, 2016

fingerprint data is stored on a 1K Mifare card

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 27, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Would this work? Honeywell BioAccess

Precise BioAccessTM is convenient, fast, accurate, easy to implement and extremely cost effective. By only storing the template on a contactless smart card instead of in a less secure database, privacy is preserved. Precise BioAccessTM Mifare is designed to instantly replace existing readers and requires no new wiring or software updates.

KD
Krish Deokali
Nov 28, 2016

thanks for your input Undisclosed #1, I will pursue this with Honeywell. I will let you know if this works out.

Baudouin Genouville
Dec 26, 2016
SUPREMA

Dear Kris,

Morpho is a nice product for fingerprint. HID SB10 fingerprint readers mentionned above are using "CBM" sensor (Morpho Make).

You shall not look at the Morpho J-Series that are End-of-Life (up to below official Morpho Statement) but at newer products from the same vendor:

"Consequently, Morpho is now announcing the End-Of-Life of its MorphoAccess® J series being fully replaced by the new MorphoAccess® SIGMA Lite series.
The end-of-life milestones and Morpho commitments are presented below:
1. End-of-sale date will be on the 29th February 2016 for the products listed in the table below. All orders received will be acknowledged subject to quantities available at that time."

In order to solve your problem, you shall do a bit of homework in order to answer the below questions:

1- What is the fingerprint template type (ISO/ANSI or Morpho Proprietary)?. The first ones are compatible Standard in the fingerprint industry and most reliable vendors can read/write fingerprint information based on these standards. You can find this information in the configuration software of the SB10

2- What is the mifare 1k card layout (what sector/block)? See below picture.

3- Is there and What is the encryption key? I would suppose that the fingerprint template stored on card is encrypted, so you need that key to read / write fingerprint information.

And then, you have 2 solutions:

1- Replicate HID

You have to succeed to get all above information and have an expert company being able to replicated the exact same HID reader behavior with a new 3rd party fingerprint reader product. In that case, make sure that you chose a product that will last for some 10 years or you will face the same problem soon. Making a fingerprint reader custom Firmware in order to replicate HID behavior shall cost you 5k$~20K$ with the Job done here at Suprema. The fingerprint reader proposed will be BioEntry W2 (multiClass), released in August 2016 and replacing the BioEntry (released in 2016). So approximate EoL of W2 shall be 2026 ^^ (?). Multiclass ability allows you to be compatible the day this customer want to switch card to HID Seos or Desfire EV1/2.

Honeywell (Prowatch/Winpak) knows and uses this Suprema W2.

2- Duplicate Bio fingerprint information

As you see above, a Mifare card 1k as enough memory to store 2 fingerprint templates. If the other Blocks are not already used, you can: Keep the HID fingerprint and write the Suprema/Morpho fingerprint next to it, so that:

- If presented on a HID reader, the HID_Finger (sector 1) fingerprint template information will be read

- If presented on a Suprema reader, the Suprema_Finger (sector 2) fingerprint template information will be read

This second solution oblige you to rewrite all the cards of the employees who need to access the new area (with new fingerprint readers). But it is free from development fees. Suprema has already done that on several sites (including airports).

Myself I prefer Solution 1. A bit more work/cost but cleaner.

and mention "Baudouin" in the description

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions