Subscriber Discussion

Avigilon H4 Bullet Water Ingress Issues?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 17, 2017

I have one question. Have you came across any issues with water ingress with the Avigilon H4 bullet cameras? 

Thank you.

(1)
(1)
Kevin Bennett
Jan 17, 2017

We have one of the H4 8MP bullets that has just started taking on water.  We have experienced this with multiple devices in the H3 bullet line - I believe the water infiltration count on the H3s is up to four or five in three years for us now. 

The 8MP H4 is our only H4 bullet at the moment.

Kevin Bennett
Jan 20, 2017

Make that count total six, now.  Just had another H3 bullet fail.  It has so much water in it you can hear it slosh if you shake it.

(1)
(3)
UI
Jan 20, 2017

have you encountered any issues with the H4 ?

Kevin Bennett
Jan 20, 2017

We have one H4 bullet and it has water in it as well.

(1)
UI
Jan 20, 2017

What other cameras do you recommend we shall use ?

Kevin Bennett
Jan 20, 2017

If you want to stick with Avigilon, use the domes.  We have a large number of their domes in service and have never had a water issue (or any other issue, really) with them. 

We have some Axis bullets that seem to be doing OK, but our experience with them is limited in both length of service and in quantity deployed. 

The Avigilon bullets appear to have a problem, likely in design or parts quality.  Either screw penetrations are not properly sealed or there is a problem with one or more of the housing seals (or a combination).  Thermal expansion/contraction could be distorting one or more seals.  This apparently carried over from the H3 to the H4 line, even though the housing has been slightly redesigned.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Maybe you could mount it to a stub block and submerge it for a couple seconds like you do with an inner tube.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Sep 24, 2019

We too have had several bullet cameras that have come back in with water in them. We haven't pulled any of them apart, but we've been able to get a replacement for them. We're just worried about the ones that come back in after warranty.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 17, 2017

Do you mean the camera itself or the junction box?

We recently had issues with H4 junction box, its design is completely different from the H3 junction box and appears to have some flaws eg. no drain hole at the bottom, H3 has a drain hole, its rubber sealing design is also completely different.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 18, 2017

Yes, 2 of 6 in first month, a 3rd is showing droplets internally after 3 months.

What were your results?

UI
Jan 20, 2017

is it the H4 you had problem with ?

so far we had an issue with around 6 from a batch of around 40 pieces. 

Paul Grefenstette
Jan 20, 2017

are you using the jbox for mounting the h3 bullet?  we make sure to caulk the top and sides of the box against the mounting surface and often we will drill a weep hole in the bottom of the jbox if mounted against a tin warehouse as we have seen water get into the jbox with that application

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Feb 10, 2017

should this be required on a camera this expensive?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 20, 2017

H4AE

Back of the H4ES bullet camera. Don't think the water came thru the 6 sided gasket? However the goo resulting from electrolysis on the circuit board forced its way up between the wires inside the cable jacket up to the junction box which is 6" above the camera.  

(1)
Ronnie Allan
Jan 23, 2017

Worrying as we've just installed some! We did have condensation on the inside of the lens and advised (by supplier) to silicone up the service port underneath.  Apparently, this should be standard practice for Avigilon bullets.  Scarey considering the price and expected build quality.  Just saying but never had a single issue with a Hik bullet... 

(1)
(1)
Ronnie Allan
Jan 23, 2017

I notice someone disagreed with my comments and I've like to know what I've got wrong (In someone else opinion)..

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jan 23, 2017

The problem with the H3 series is that the jacket on the Ethernet cable that passes through the knuckle assembly degrades, and then if water fills the pivot (which is not sealed) it can pipe directly downhill into the camera body.

(1)
Scott Smith
Feb 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Be aware if you swap to the H4 IR dome they don't tilt very high towards the horizon.

Similar but not as bad as the old JPEG cameras.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #8
Sep 24, 2019

We've had the same issues with H3 and H4 bullets.

Scott Smith
Sep 24, 2019
IPVMU Certified

They work fine when you rotate the knuckle the correct direction. I have tons of H3 and H4 bullets out in the field with Zero Water problems.

(2)
(1)
Guy Savage
Oct 02, 2019
IPVMU Certified

What do you mean rotate the correct direction?

Scott Smith
Oct 02, 2019
IPVMU Certified

The screw that holds the knuckle joint together must be pointed down.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions