Subscriber Discussion

4K Vs 1080 Comparison Request

Brad Peterson
Jan 31, 2017

looking for comparison of the two systems

Ethan Ace
Jan 31, 2017

Hi Brad, what exactly are you looking to compare?

In general, there are some guidelines when comparing 4K to 1080p:

• 4K is better quality in well lit scenes. Because it's four times the pixels of 1080p, in a well lit scene you're going to see significant differences. We have a number of tests showing this, such as Panasonic 4K / 12MP Camera Tested or Hikvision 4K Camera Tested.
  • But in low light, 4K is generally weaker due to reduced sensitivity. There are several integrated IR models which compensate for this, but they are still typically worse in low light than 1080p.
  • Large imager models like the Sony 35mm VB770 or Avigilon Pro 4K models perform better in low light than typical 4K models.
  • Some 4K models, especially early entrants like the Axis P1428 or low cost models like the Dahua HFW4800, do not deliver the same detail improvement even in well lit scenes. This may be due to several factors but generally it's most likely the lens is the weak link.
  • 1080p models typically offer the widest range of features. You can find super low light, 1/2" imager, top end true WDR models, high end models with gyroscopic image stabilization, box, dome, bullet, and other form factors, etc., while 4K options are more limited.
  • Bandwidth increases in 4K cameras, but not linearly compared to 1080p. It's 4x the pixels, but not 4x the bandwidth. It's closer to 2x-3x the bandwidth in most cases.

Does that help? Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.

(1)
(1)
Brad Peterson
Feb 01, 2017

Thanks Ethan I will read that information sounds like it will really help.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 31, 2017

I am fighting this battle right now. Imagine positioning cameras to capture the entire ceiling of a large stadium. You have to consider your horizontal and vertical ranges along with just how you will stitch all these cameras together to make it easy to navigate from the end user's perspective. It would be nice to see the grid views in the VMS flip aspect ratios like an ipad does when you rotate 90 degrees. Adding all these views together is like having 200 cell phones with 11 of them ringing at the same time with different but like ringtones. I have already HULK SMASHED two protractors trying to double check my work on visio. The battle between 4K and HD 1080P is cost, (brand, storage, features, internal or external IR etc).

JH
John Honovich
Feb 01, 2017
IPVM

I have already HULK SMASHED two protractors trying to double check my work on visio.

Btw, you might want to try using our Camera Calculator to double check your work.

As a very rough example, here is a 1080p vs a 4K camera inside Yankee Stadium.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 01, 2017

Thanks John, I have been using your calculator! Don't worry I won't Hulk Smash it. The issues I am having are set heights where the equipment can be mounted along with tiling the camera views inside a Visio mock up of a video wall displaying simulated camera grids. As far as 4K vs. 1080P comparisons..it is a seesaw at the moment.

Brad Peterson
Feb 01, 2017

The battle between 4K and HD 1080P is cost, (brand, storage, features, internal or external IR etc).

Exactly #1, Im leaning toward Axis--quality--but haven't chosen a model yet. Thanks for your imput.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions