Subscriber Discussion

Utility To Export Config/Device Info For 28,000 ONVIF IP Cameras?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jan 12, 2017

IPVM'ers,

I need a lil help with project I am working on so I figured why not ask the SME's on IPVM.  I am trying to locate tool or utility that can go out and discover ONVIF IP Cameras then export the configuration/device information for auditing purposes.  Unfortunately the ONVIF DM does not appear to have that functionality from what I can gather, its more basic and has no export/reporting capabilities.

Any bones that can be thrown my way is much appreciated, this is a HUGE task that right now is a very manual process because the VMS in place does not have this Enterprise Reporting function.   With an estimated 28k IP cameras you can do the math, tons of man hours.

All of the cameras are on a closed IP network that that is connected to the Secondary NIC of the NVR Appliance running a embedded WinOS, trying to find a way to prevent trucks rolls to potentially 1k+ locations to gather the data for Compliance Reporting and Remediation.  My thought process is that we might potentially might be able to take a tool (if it were to exist) and package it as a script that can be run via the OS and distributed from the enterprise controller.

Thanks in advance.

K

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jan 12, 2017

Some additional info on the configuration/device date that is needed to be captured to spur some thought process.

Required Data

• Manufacturer
  • Model Number
  • Firmware Version/Date Updated
  • Network Details
    • IP Address
    • Subnet Mask
    • Gateway
    • MAC Address

Bonus Data

• User Profiles
  • Image Settings
  • Video Stream Settings
  • Stream Profiles

The ONVIF DM does show much of what is needed for "requirements" under the Identification but it does not appear to be able to be exported.  Great job btw to IPVM on the ONVIF DM overview video

Thanks again!

MM
Michael Miller
Jan 12, 2017

Check out the Bosch Configuration Manager.   It discovers ONVIF cameras and pulls a lot of info.  It does have an export feature but I am not sure how much details you get as I have not tried to export yet.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 13, 2017

Hey I can create a command line utility for you so you can automate this in future. It can also export to both CSV and SQL Server for further reporting.

(2)
UI
Jan 13, 2017

More info, I've done something similar for Axis/Sony/Hikvision cameras that also stores thumbnail images of each camera at any specified resolution.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 14, 2017
IPVM

Damien, is this a product? is there a website for this? What do you charge?

UI
Jan 14, 2017

I'm in the process of updating the website where it can be downloaded from. I'll also need to modify the utility to cater for large numbers of cameras but shouldn't take long. The utility is also free.

I'll post a link here when it's complete, probably next week at this stage.

(2)
SD
Sinisa Dumanic
Jan 16, 2017

You can try with Milestone. Just use demo version to add all cameras to system. After that you can generate very detailed report in Management client. You need to use Corporate or Expert.

Josh Hendricks
Jan 16, 2017
Milestone Systems

Even though I'm biased, this would probably not be a pleasant experience. You would have to install a lot of software just to collect the information, including dozens or more Recording Servers as I don't know what would happen if you tried to add 28k cameras to one system even if you weren't actually streaming. Maybe it would be a good test for our large scale test team?

The resulting reports would contain most of the desired info, but at present it would be in PDF format, so if you wanted to use it in any kind of external reporting tool like Excel or Crystal you would be out of luck. And imagine Adobe trying to open a PDF with many thousands of pages! You'd probably need 16GB of RAM just to open it haha...

Damien is very kind to offer his free purpose built utility for this and if he doesn't mind, I'm also curious to have a play with it when it's ready!

(1)
Josh Hendricks
Jan 16, 2017
Milestone Systems

With that said, if a system is already running Milestone, there are other ways to extract the info and I could potentially whip something up in an evening to pull out some details in CSV format.

UI
Jan 16, 2017

Sure, I'm almost done with another project so will make it available here in just a few days. It will be able to access any number of IP Address ranges but that's an interesting question for this requirement, are the 28k devices in an IP sequence on say a 10.x range or across different blocks with even single IPs here and there? Do they all have the same login details? I'll try cater for the different scenarios with the utility ;)

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions