Subscriber Discussion

1000m Long Range IR PTZ Camera?

BL
Brian Leander
Feb 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hi All,

I have a customer that is looking for a PTZ camera with the following capabilities:

1. Detection range of up to 1000m at night (so some form of Laser IR or light source would be required).

2. Detection of a vehicle or boat (15' and larger) at this distance (no identification, thank goodness).

3. Capable of withstanding coastal/marine environments (IP66/IP67, corrosion proof housing, etc.).

4. Ideally would have some form of visible light that can be used as a deterrent ("hey, we are looking at you" signal). Although this is more of wish and not a must.

5. Available from a US or European distributor (finding several options on aliexpress, but concerned about warranty and service over time).

6. Camera(s) will be mounted on a hill and close proximity viewing is not critical (anything that will be looking for will basically start at 150m out).

Can anyone point me in the right direction, so far I've stranded at the 500m range unsing Laser IRs (including models recommended in another thread on IPVM.com covering Laser IR PTZs).

I'm looking for brands and models so I can get in touch with the distributors and/or manufacturers. Been coming up dry, so looking to the community for assistance. Thanks in advance!

Brian

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 15, 2017

This one comes close. PTZ12240-LR8-N

It has 800m IR and is 2mp resolution

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/au/products/ptz12240-lr8-n-10031.html#none

(I work for Dahua)

BL
Brian Leander
Feb 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks UM1, very close indeed. Will take a closer look at the distance requirements.

(1)
Gianni Viero
Feb 15, 2017
Videotec

Hello Brian

since you are looking into detection and no identification, a dual core PTZ camera (thermal + optical) may work for this application.

Videotec does offer a Stainless steel unit designed for marine environment and the product is available in US and Europe thru distribution.

Thank you

Gianni

BL
Brian Leander
Feb 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks Gianni. The link was broken, but I think I found the NXPTZT module that you are referring to. I will look at it closer and let you know. Definitely a nice housing! Will this work at the distances required?

Thanks!

Gianni Viero
Feb 15, 2017
Videotec

Depending on thermal camera resolution and lens, you can detect a human at almost a mile. Since your target is min 15' this should not be a issue.

If you look at the certification (IP68) and the build material (AISI316 stainless), this camera is designed for this kind of application in an aggressive marine environment.

Thank you

Gianni

(2)
BL
Brian Leander
Mar 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hi Gianni,

How can I contact you directly?

I would like to get a quote on the NXPTZT as soon as possible. The customer is very interested in this model. Thanks in advance!

Jason Glover
Feb 15, 2017

Brian. 

Full disclosure.  Sales Director at FLIR.

We have a complete line of long range thermal and optical dual PTZ units. We have cooled and uncooled thermal technology that would work at your required distances. 

Feel free reed to contact me. IPVM can give you my contact information. 

JG

(1)
BL
Brian Leander
Feb 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks Jason,

Will follow up and contact you directly to learn more about your offerings.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
Feb 15, 2017

At that kind of distance thermal would work best. A dual image sensor from Flir.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Feb 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I agree that Thermal certainly is the way to go so why not use a great product that will not break the bank? That product would be HIKVISION of Course.....

http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_688_i5935.html

(1)
(1)
(1)
BL
Brian Leander
Feb 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks Marty,

We did some initial testing with a Hikvision IR PTZ (DS-2DF8236IV-AEL) but the customer wanted additional zoom capability for the optical image. Is that camera available in the US?

EV
Ed Vergara
Feb 21, 2017

You should check out https://vumii.com/discoverii/

BL
Brian Leander
Mar 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the link. Looks very capable and specs show it would cover our requirements easily (human ID @ 4000m Night/15000m Day). Looks like overkill and probably extremely expensive for this application. Very impressive though!

I could not get the Request A Quote link to work, do you know where I could get pricing on these units? Thanks!

EV
Ed Vergara
Mar 07, 2017

Yes, but I don't think I'm allowed to post it here.  You can reach me at ed @ athenxinc.com.  Note the added space around @.

EP
Eddie Perry
Mar 08, 2017

I would go with FLIR on this one. the requirements are so high I would not waste money on anything this else.

I would recommend a stainless steel enclosure if you can find one. Also depending on the style camera I recommend getting 2 or 3 of the clear plastic or glass covers of the model camera you get for replacement at the time of purchase. Coastal/Marine environments destroy every thing they touch and waiting on replacement parts for high end cameras like what you are looking for can take time. should help with cutting down the down time.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions