Subscriber Discussion

Loitering Analytic Used As Real-Time Sales Tool?

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

There is a big multi-floor Ace hardware store near me that I have used for several years now. Often I will lapse into deep thought in front of some display as I contemplate buying the item.

If an employee happens to pass me in this state, they invariably ask "is there anything I can help you with?", as they no doubt have been trained to do.

However lately, if I linger much more than 5 minutes in a given area, an employee will 'pass by' without fail it seems. Also, they seem more purposeful, coming around blind corners and the like to break my catatonic stupor. They have smoked domes in every aisle, so...

Does anyone know of a system that uses a loitering analytic to dispatch employees to harass assist lingering customers? Maybe it would send a text message to the employee whose GPS is closest to the lingering party?

Maybe it could be trained for some basic face rec so I could be flagged as DLTBB, doesn't like to be bothered...

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 30, 2015

...maybe you just look shifty.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 30, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Actually I'm sure I do look a little disconcerting, never wanting 'help', always staring at the security cameras (for labels etc), asking where the compressed gasses section is, spending far too much time in the raw metals kiosk without a trace of definable project...

But no more than last month...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions