Little Giant Ladders: Awesome Or Infomercial Junk?

Brian Rhodes
Oct 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I spoke with an installer recently who surprised me by telling me his newest, most 'game-changing' tool on his van:

Little Giant Adjustable Ladders

This surprised me because I had only heard of Little Giant from those cheesy infomercials. (Marketing usually reserved for ultimately worthless or junk gadgets.)  eg:

Despite the tagline "Just when you thought a ladder couldn't get any better!" (yikes), this installer told me with enthusiasm about how this one ladder has taken the place of three others on his truck, that it is lighter and more sturdy than fiberglass types, and that he unloads one ladder per day rather than repeatedly swapping them out at his van.

For those with firsthand experience with this ladder or similar 'multi-position' adjustable types, do they live up to the hype?

(2)
Brian Karas
Oct 17, 2016
IPVM

I have two different Little Giant knock-offs, and I agree they're very versatile and tend to be my go-to option for anything between ~5' and 15' (for <5', a traditional step ladder is lighter and gets in the way less, for >15' I prefer aluminum extension ladder. For >25' I tend to just rent a lift.

Protip: Little Giant used to be at a lot of smallish regional shows like ISC East. The guy would bring a ton of demo equipment, and at the end of the show he would sell it all cheap to anyone walking by so he didn't have to pack it all out. If you're thinking about buying one of these, look at the exhibitor list for your next local show and see if Little Giant is going to be there, if they are, offer the demo guy 50% of list price.

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Oct 18, 2016

I did an entire week long install with one as my only ladder. Maybe it is because I don't do installs typically or perhaps it is due to the round rungs with no flat surface but my feet hurt for a week after.

(3)
UI
Oct 18, 2016

Plus they are surprisingly heavy and fully conductive.

(6)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 17, 2016

I have a Little Giant ladder at home which I really like and a knock off at work that clearly demonstrates that sometimes less expensive really does translate to lower quality. I use both often and in multiple configurations depending on the job. The 'A frame' stepladder configuration tends to be more stable than a regular stepladder and I like being able to straddle it with one leg on either side for better comfort/stability. Also, being able to fit what can become a fairly tall ladder in a small service van is a big plus.

Last time I was at ISC West, I had a quick look at the Telesteps version of the combination ladder.

It is appealing in that it is telescoping so is very compact for transport. I haven't tried one yet but plan to next time I get to a dealer that carries them (not very widespread availability in Alberta at this time). These guys also sell tactical telescoping ladders so I would expect the products to be fairly rugged despite all the moving parts. If any of you have hands on experience with the telesteps product I would like to hear about that too.

(3)
CW
Craig Wilson
Oct 17, 2016

we have the Keller Knockoff and this thing sucks!

Crappy Keller Ladder

This thing is so heavy, like ~50 lbs that it breaks your back when you toss it into your van, it doesn't fold up all that small and if your not careful you will lose your fingers when you go to collapse the thing as its so heavy it will come crashing down if you pull the loops in the wrong order, which is easy to do when your trying to maneuver it fully extended in tight fighting quarters. also if you plan to move it a lot like if your running wire, you have to almost always collapse the thing as its base is so wide its impractical to move it fully open. Its very awkward to carry, I would leave it at jobs sites if i planned on being back there the next day as it was too damn heavy to carry any sort of distance. I even had Electricians tell me that ladder sucked to move around, as they tried to use it in a pinch while I was gone. The concept of it is great, but its just so heavy to carry around and after the last two projects i was on using it, i have pressured my company to get me a 8' fiber glass ladder and i'll use this one as a last resort when I need something taller.

(1)
(2)
(1)
Gert Molkens
Oct 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Telesteps: have one in my van and its great. Only, after a while dirt is getting making it harder to 'unfold' and make it smaller again. I suppose this could be solved with some silicone grease but havn't tried that yet

Little giant like ladder: have one of those too, Yeti brand, very practical but if you run into safety conscious customers, you might have an issue. I have the version with four steps on each side of the 'A'. If you take a close look at the safety instructions, you're only allowed to use the bottom step when placed in the A position. The top three may not be used for safety reasons (you might fall over at the other side if you do, that's the main difference with a stepladder). So yes it's compact but, if you follow their own safety instructions, it's not an alternative to stepladders.

By the way, who has ever read the safety instructions that came with his ladder? I didn't until a customers safety responsible told me to put the Yeti back in the van. So i checked it and he was right. The guy who sold it to me didn't mention this

(2)
Adam Messina
Oct 17, 2016
Qumulex

While I do not use it professionally, I have a Little Giant for home use, and it is some of the best money I have ever spent. Compact, easy to open, lightweight, and sturdy.

(2)
(1)
Ethan Ace
Oct 17, 2016

I'm with Craig. I hate the Little Giant style ladders because they're so heavy compared to typical step ladders. Sure, it's more versatile, but I'd rather carry a 6' and 8' fiberglass ladder which cover most of what I need.

And yes, Gert is right. Taking these onto OSHA heavy jobs can get difficult.

(1)
(1)
David Johnson
Oct 17, 2016

Love & hate - it's a thin line! We have one and it's great when you need to use on uneven ground/steps but that bitch is heavy and unwieldy!

(2)
(1)
MI
Matt Ion
Oct 18, 2016

I've used a few variations on the theme (not necessarily knock-offs, just different designs of folding/articulating ladders), some better than others...

I've also worked on jobs with A/V installers that have them, and they LOVE them. I've used theirs, and yeah, like End User 1 says, sometimes you really do get what you pay for. Their "real" LGs were lighter, felt sturdier, operated smoother, and just seemed to have more options than my most-similar equivalent. I'd love one, but you do pay a premium.

GC
Greg Cortina
Oct 18, 2016

I have a 30 year old "Little Giant 5 foot" and a Little Giant Step stool that's about 20 years old. Well worth the money for the original. The knockoffs I saw were not impressive.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 18, 2016

Anybody that does heavy ladder work, running wires, etc. should never use one of those. There is one guy that works with us that uses one and he is always grunting and groaning, snapping it open and closed with those loud locks making it bigger and smaller. We run circles around him moving our fiberglass ladders around while he struggles with it changing the size, opening/closing and forget about carrying around all day.

For the day to day it's definitely not productive or even safe to make your guys carry that mess of aluminum around. I can't remember in years ever seeing somebody using one on a job site. I definitely would get one for my house because it's one size fits all but if you have the room in your truck just get the right ladder for the job.

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Oct 19, 2016

I have a similar one I've probably had for 25 years and I can't remember who makes it but only for home use because just as you mention one size fits all.

It came in very handy just the other day when I had to set it up scaffolding style to replace some can light bulbs over my bed way up in a tray ceiling (not to safe putting a ladder on a mattress either - haha).

Otherwise I agree with virtually everyone here way to heavy to be effective day to day.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Oct 18, 2016

We've used the Home Depot "Gorilla Ladder" knockoff for years. Mixed opinions. They're versatile but very heavy, and a burden to tote around. Tech's referred to them as "HAL" for heavy *ss ladder. They're not going on a rooftop rack so they get tossed in the back of a van, and at the end of the day that usually means on top of whatever happens to be in there. I've had blowups when I've gone to the van only to find these heavy ladders on top of cameras, field monitors, laptops, just whatever.

I just got a new small Ford Transit Van last week and this will be the only time you see one of those ladders in it. We're getting roof racks and will be using fiberglass. I also opted for some heavy duty rolling tote boxes and we're going to try that in lieu of the built in shelving that we've had on all our previous vans. I have a theory that the shelving just creates a space to cram and lose stuff. I think the easily removable totes will make ongoing maintenance, inventory and upkeep more manageable. We'll see

(6)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I have a theory that the shelving just creates a space to cram and lose stuff.

This is a good observation, and one I think is correct.

A big part of the trendy 5S precepts in 'lean manufacturing' involve maximizing order and reducing waste.

The concept "A Place for Everything and Everything in Its Place" agrees with the common observation that drawers and shelves tend to attract junk and disorder.

It is easy to take it to absurd levels, but a common step is using foam cutouts to organize tool drawers and parts bins. That way, finding something is quick, tools are treated better, and missing pieces are obvious and beg to be put back in the right places:

So, maybe without you knowing, your casual observations are pretty cutting edge ideas in the world of manufacturing!

UE
Undisclosed End User #5
Oct 19, 2016

Wow surprised no one mentioned that using a metallic ladder around electrical stuff is generally a NO NO, be it low voltage or not. How many times have you plopped above the ceiling and found a open air splice for the lights that blow you off the ladder? Try that at a nice union job site with the Safety Police around and see how long it lasts.

(2)
(1)
UI
Oct 19, 2016

See my post above about being fully conductive. We cannot use them for the reasons you describe.

U
Undisclosed #6
Oct 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

How many times have you plopped above the ceiling and found a open air splice for the lights that blow you off the ladder?

never more than once...

Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 19, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I own a Keller knockoff that I bought from Menards, thinking it would be versatile, but it's just too heavy to lug around. There have been a few rare occasions where it was helpful, but it's not a daily use type product.

(1)
CH
Corbin Hambrick
Oct 24, 2016

Love it. I only buy though at the Demo's due to big price decrease. Costco, CEDIA, ESX, etc. Bought my last one at the end of CEDIA...their demo model and got it even cheaper.

Only big con is heavy. My smaller guys don't like them because of that. That means they are the specialty ladder...not the every day use 6' or 8' ladder.

(1)
Kyle Folger
Oct 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Those types of ladders do have their usefulness in certain circumstances. However, I used to an aluminum 6' ladder years back and the BWC representative was visiting one of my clients while I was working and noted that they want to see only fiberglass ladders for commercial use. (I like fiberglass ladders anyways) The next day I had a fiberglass 6' with me and my client said I didn't have to listen to the rep since my client had a 6' aluminum ladder as well. The next time I was on site, my client had a fiberglass 6' ladder. The multi-tool Little Giant ladders don't fit the fiberglass category, so I have never bought one. Like others have mentioned, they are clunky to haul around. Instead, I carry on my truck a 24' extension, 10', 8', 6' and 4' ladders. They can't all fit in my van. Only the 4' stays inside the van.

To safely haul the ladders around since I had experienced too many close calls with bungee straps, I searched the internet for a solution. I only found one and it has worked well since 2013. It's called Hook-Um Dano. On the driver side of the van, the 8' stacks on top of the extension ladder. On the passenger side, the 6' stacks on top of the 10'. The ladder rack is a dual side Adrian Steel rack. The 4' stays right inside the passenger side cargo door. The bottom ladders are held in place with the ladder rack. I don't lock the ladders but instead put a bolt in the lock hole just for safety.

The ladders are arranged by what gets used the most. I use the 4' ladder to reach the top ladders. A few times I have needed a 12' ladder but not very often. Anything above that is generally done with a lift. The extension ladder is primary used for service and accessing roof tops.

On a side note, a friend that was a safety inspector for a company said as a policy they didn't allow aluminum ladders. He said this was to the extent that it wasn't allowed on the jobsite property even if it wasn't being used. This was to prevent using it in a pinch.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #6
Oct 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

It's called Hook-Um Dano.

for around five-oh bucks

(3)
Kyle Folger
Oct 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I was skeptical of the name, but contacted the company regarding my potential use of the product and was assured it would work. It was $71.48 for 2 including shipping so it wasn't like I was taking a huge risk. The only thing I have done is lubricated the threads a few times.

Brian Rhodes
Oct 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Und #6 is playing off the tagline 'Book-em, Dano' from the 70's TV show "Hawaii 5-0", ie: 'five-oh bucks'.

You can downvote him/her as appropriate.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #8
Oct 24, 2016

Had 3 of them. Last show guy told me that there are two problems with the ladder: Weight and theft. Guess what happened to the first two?

Best ladder ever, but the weight and rung design are an issue (I no longer use mine that much). but its the most solid ladder I've have ever had. I always feel very comfortable climbing it.

One thing i would suggest for the guy that stands on a ladder all day is the movable platform. Like standing on the floor.

(1)
David McNeill
Oct 24, 2016

We installed one on the back rack of our new fire engine.

Very strong, robust, adaptable & expensive.

Definitely heavy, which is reassuring when climbing in a burning house window in full fire gear. We'd configure it with one short leg inside, long leg outside. It doesn't nudge out of the way easily as fire boots are clumsy, or threaten to collapse under the extra weight of fireman in breathing gear.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 24, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

It is ironic to me that some here have stated that they feel these types of ladder to be stronger, but I've found the opposite. A fiberglass extension ladder is much more rigid and firm than my aluminum Keller when used as an extension ladder. The aluminum flexes quite a bit when extended. Mine is capable of 22' when fully extended, but it feels like a spring at that point. A fiberglass at that height still feels firm.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
Oct 25, 2016

We've used the Little Giant ladders for several years and found them to be very beneficial and durable. First, use the right tool for the job. Carrying one around to run cable in a standard height drop ceiling is for someone who is interested in getting a workout, not in moving fast. Use your standard 6-8 foot fiberglass ladders for that. But in 90% of our new installs the LG's get broke out. They are easier to get to your higher spots and maneuver in buildings in collapsed mode, then extending as needed. The smaller Model 17's weight in around or at 30lbs and is probably the most popular with our guys, although we have more of the Model 22's which are more versatile in it's height reach. Overall we find it easier to carry one Little Giant instead of a 10ft or 12 foot A frame plus an extension ladder.

(1)
CP
Chris Probst
Oct 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We have a LG on every truck. I will not buy the knock-offs, they are heavier, more bulky and do not last as long. The key to not struggling with it is "training", the way you carry and setup the LG makes all the difference between using it efficiently and getting worn out while using it.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 25, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

All of that still doesn't get you past the requirement of fiberglass ladders at restrictive sites.

SR
Samuel Rodgers
Oct 25, 2016

They make a fiberglass little giant. I use the fiberglass little giant everyday, and it works great.

Brian Rhodes
Oct 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Sure enough, the Little Giant fiberglass version is dubbed "Dark Horse" and runs about $550 for the 17 foot model.

The website reports the ladder weight is ~40 pounds.

Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 25, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

The 22' Dark Horse weighs the same 54 lbs as the aluminum version....? That is the same as a standard Werner 24' extension ladder, but more than 20 lbs more than a standard 8' fiberglass step ladder. I don't need to carry those extra 20 lbs every day. This isn't even getting into the extreme cost differences.

Kyle Folger
Oct 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I hadn't seen the dark horse or their commercial line of ladders before. This could be because of their awkward website marketing. There are two different URLs separated by an S.

https://www.littlegiantladder.com/ - Residential

https://littlegiantladders.com/ - Commerical

Aside from the extra weight that I don't need on a daily basis. I recently started trying the podium ladders from Werner. I would put those in the same category as the Little Giant Ladders. The Werner works really well, but I don't think I could use it everyday. However, it isn't really any heavier than the equivalent standard stepladder when comparing max reach height. The Little Giant Ladders, while versatile, are still a lot more to move around.

Looking at their commercial site, it seems they do indeed have a lot of innovative products. The cost and weight of their ladders though, would make me think a lot longer and harder deciding which one would fit my needs and add value.

I don't believe these ladders are junk, but I do think I would need to use and try them before taking a chance on them. I haven't seen their commercial ladders in stores. Their standard 24' is a lot more than the Werner equivalent.

(1)
(1)
Ari Erenthal
Oct 26, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

The Little Giant is amazing! Yes, I prefer a fiberglass, but when space is at a premium and you can only take one ladder, it has to be the Little Giant. To be fair, I used the Little Giant when I was in my teens and twenties and could throw the ladder around like it was nothing. I'm sure that today I would prefer a fiberglass, or pay a kid to carry a ladder around for me, which is what all my bosses did.

I took a Little Giant on the subway once. It sucked but we got the job done.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
Oct 26, 2016

I think that is one of the main benefits, it reduces the number of ladders you need to carry on a normal basis. Our standard van load out is one each 6ft and 8ft fiberglass, one Little Giant. That load out works 90% of the time. If we need something else, either height-wise or job site requirement to be all fiberglass, we grab those ladders from the shop.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Oct 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

There is no question LITTLE GIANT is a big pain in the A** for installing, its unneeded and cumbersome, I cannot stand that ladder and avoid it at all costs.....just saying

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions