Subscriber Discussion

Li-Fi - Visible Spectrum Wireless Networking

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Brian's recent article about LED lightbulb cameras reminded me of this strange relatively new networking technology, Li-Fi. Which is like WiFi but with light instead of radio waves.

Presented here only so you don't have to act surprised if you here it somewhere else, and can instantly launch into a damning critique on the spot. ;)

Here's the pitch:

pureLiFi, the home of Li-Fi, is recognised as the leader in the field – the use of the visible light spectrum instead of radio frequencies to enable wireless data communication. pureLiFi provides ubiquitous high-speed wireless access that offers substantially greater security, safety and data densities than Wi-Fi along with inherent properties that eliminate unwanted external network intrusion. In addition, the integration of illumination and data services generates a measurable reduction in both infrastructure complexity and energy consumption.

Here's the obligatory TED video:

And here's my advice to any bubble generation entrepreneurs:

Build a prototype LiFi Camera hybrid, make an amazingly shallow but slick video, kickstart it followed by some decent A Round funding, and cash out! [sarcasm]

(1)
Luis Carmona
Jan 08, 2015
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Reminds me of a product I saw around the time of 2007 ISC West that had three movable and seperate data streaming LED lights, or maybe they we laser. You could move the lights to link multipe devices in a point to multipoint configuration, each light specified for 300mbs per second, or you could link all three lights together between two devices and gain an aggregate 900mbps. I've looked for it again from time to time. but haven't seen it again since.

HL
Horace Lasell
Jan 08, 2015

This could make sense if POE fixtures were to supplant standard HV wiring for space lighting.

(1)
Rv
Rogier van der Heide
Jan 08, 2015

Customer: "We have the weirdest thing. Whenever we close down for the night and turn of the lights, the camera's stops giving off a feed"

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions