Let's Talk About Trump's Wall

JH
John Honovich
Jan 26, 2017
IPVM

To be clear, no politics allowed, will be deleted.

Quote:

ordered the construction of a multibillion-dollar wall along the roughly 2,000-mile (3,200-km) U.S.-Mexico border

The questions is, for the industry, what type of impact will Trump's wall have? Are there going to be many cameras on this wall, etc.? Anyone excited or working with federal agencies to get a piece of this?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Avigilon has got to be a favorite here.  

1. Good products.  
  2. Plenty of government references. 
  3. Made in the U.S.A.
  4. Factory in Texas.
(4)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 26, 2017

FLIR thermal combined with FLIR analytics seems like a more obvious choice than Avigilon as a 'favorite' (though Rialto is no joke).

*NOTE* I work for FLIR in a non-sales role.

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Jan 26, 2017

Magal has a proven track record with border intrusion detection. And Elbit has built surveillance towers on the Mexican border already. Hopefully, they pick up local subs. They may even open a US subsidiary, which is going to mean jobs for the industry. 

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Jan 26, 2017

I found this the other night which talks about the cost of securing Trumps tower in NYC. 

"Then there's the cost of a video surveillance system. "A facility like that ... you're probably talking about 75 to 100 cameras for full protection," said Mandel. You're probably going to have about $100,000 invested in cameras, some of which may already be in place within the building, he added."

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 26, 2017
IPVM

An article about the logistics of building a wall: 5 challenges Trump may face building a border wall; #4 is about the importance of surveillance to make the barrier effective

UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Jan 26, 2017

I'm sure that Flir (the thermal Flir) is foaming at the mouth on this.  I suspect that the wall (if it happens) is going to be covered with their $35k  thermal PTZ's.   They have been a federal govt favorite for a long time.  (or R vision, the Flir competitor that uses Flir imagers)

Ripple down effect?  Maybe it will drop the price of thermal imagers as production ramps up.

Also, I'm sure that there will be wireless involved.. Firetide was the favorite due to their MIPS compliance  but I don't think that they exist any more.  

I was part of a group that did some tire kicking on the first border wall project back in 2008  and that was the route we were going

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 26, 2017
IPVM

#2, good feedback. As a point of fact, Firetide is now part of Unicom Global and I believe they are still in business though at a reduced level of activity than during their 2000s VC fueled heyday.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
Jan 30, 2017

The 2008 project that Boeing got paid for but never delivered on?

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

This is apolitical:

Having worked for DOD in the past, the US Gov't could care less about the brand of cameras on the wall at this point. They are (will be?) concerned with finding a prime contractor that can deliver an outcome for a price. That way, if the wall doesn't work, they go after the prime.

DHS will be deciding between L3, Raytheon, Northrup Grumman, or Boeing or some other big-name prime contractor, who will then manage subcontracting performance spec designs to individual parts/systems/vendors.

I'm only bringing that up to mention until a prime contractor for the wall is awarded, I don't think there is much above-board product competition or positioning to make.

(7)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...the US Gov't could care less about the brand of cameras on the wall at this point.

Even if its a Chinese brand?

Brian Rhodes
Jan 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The point is DHS is not in the specification weeds at this point, and may never be. They may very well, and likely will, place a buyer's bid premium on US-friendly brands but ultimately it will be the prime's responsibility for selection.

Right now, DHS is in the market for a solutions provider, not individual parts of the solution.

EP
Eddie Perry
Jan 26, 2017

I second this but will add that whoever Lobbies the hardest will get this contract. then whoever lobbies the prime the hardest will get the cameras, software, hardaware, etc etc.

having worked with and for government projects like this if you look at who the prime's has worked, with you will be able to know who will get what based on which prime wins the bid.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Maybe RoboGuard or similar?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 26, 2017

There have already been evaluations for technology at the border and products approved.  The issue was these programs were previously unfunded.

This program was a failure https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBInet

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jan 27, 2017

I would imagine the media are going to have a very close eye on what product will be used on such a controversial topic. 

If Chinese product is used to protect American borders... when there is such a high focus on buy American hire American right now. 

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Jan 27, 2017

Before we begin to discuss solutions, I think the main question is will the proper infrastructure (Power, Fiber) be included in the scope of the initial project. Like many Major Industrial Projects, if this isn't done properly any solution will fail in the long run. Wireless and Solar options are expensive to maintain and a service nightmare. Implementing clean power for 700 miles of border is a massive undertaking but can be done. Fiber is easy if power is available.

I find it interesting that cameras with Analytics/Fiber Fencing  have not been discussed by Trumps Team as an addition to this discussion. This would debunk the argument that a $25 ladder can beat the wall.     

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

This would debunk the argument that a $25 ladder can beat the wall.

How so?

(1)
Christopher Freeman
Jan 27, 2017

Balanced Trade Agreements, Same standard for all countries, and If they have a standard for the southern border and we want the same standard , whats the problem. 

Same rules , not just for the greedy or entitled . 

Rules should apply accross the board , not just for certain entities or chosen few 

Get a grip america , and other s 

for an system to work you need rules, structure, standards and thats what has to happen . 

the Browns of Ca. are out to lunch and using someone elses bank account , not thier own. 

JH
John Honovich
Jan 28, 2017
IPVM

From the Intercept: U.S. SEEKS TO DOUBLE VIDEO SURVEILLANCE TOWERS ALONG MEXICAN BORDER

The overhaul, according the CBP’s estimation, would more than double the program’s surveillance towers in six of its nine Mexican border sectors, increasing from 222 towers to 446 towers.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jan 29, 2017

What is the effective range of a camera tower with flir and analytics? At ~2000 miles/446 towers = about 4.5 miles between towers

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 29, 2017

I'm not sure, but FLIR has many divisions.

Like our Surveillance Division that eats this kind of stuff for breakfast.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Jan 29, 2017

https://spotterrf.com/about/press-room/videos/

U
Undisclosed #8
Jan 29, 2017

Hey! Teacher! Leave those kids alone! Is a physical wall really needed? Let's design satellite surveillance analytics. Perhaps we can use X-band and L-band microwave radar. Let's beam down the largest line crossing detection system, ever. Using multiple frequencies of light we can graph the ground billions of square miles per second. This wall could be 50 miles wide, deploy drones that can increase surveillance of highly active regions. In addition to the towers, use beacons to create another ground array of seismic and rf sensors to create a mesh network detection system. A simple retrofit of a over the counter drone can yield many hours of flight time; the addition of a gas generator can provide enough power to charge the onboard batteries. Think of a simple rotary engine using a butane/propane/alcohol charged tank. Back over on the RF and Seismic mesh network, any unknown RF emitting device will activate an alarm, deploy a drone to provide video push surveillance of the area. Pyramids are made of bricks. All in all it's just another brink in the wall.

(2)
(1)
Christopher Freeman
Jan 29, 2017

Its going to create a lot of JOBs , all phases, High Tech, lots of industry technologies 

Love it. 

lets get to work 

(2)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions