Subscriber Discussion

Legality Of Cul-De-Sac LPR By Homeowner

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Does anyone see any issues legal or otherwise, with placing a dedicated lpr camera (on homeowner property) at the end of a cul-de-sac?

The edge lpr camera would be used among other things, for real-time alerting/automated action on both whitelisted/blacklisted plates.

Should be able to get plate coming and going due to camera location at end of street.

The street is public, of course.

Thoughts?

SP
Sean Patton
Dec 05, 2016

There is about 100 questions that come to mind, but in general I would say no issues. Best course of actions would be to not store the plate records and just get alerts when it sees the plate.

This could depend greatly based upon what state and or country you live in, but in many cases the limitations are placed upon government entities from storing/recording the information, not on private companies/persons/private parking companies/etc.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Best course of actions would be to not store the plate records and just get alerts when it sees the plate.

Thanks.

Though I may need to store the plate#'s to a database to implement some of the more interesting alerts.

Like when someone drives by 10 times in one hour, or the owner wants to know when the mailman came yesterday etc.

I would be glad to answer any other questions you have. If successful in this pilot, the idea would be to create a turnkey system for home automation using a multi-imager camera to pickup when people come, go, or just drive by.

Then hook it into alerts and access control, lighting changes, ring tones, the usual...

LW
Leland Wolf
Dec 05, 2016

What camera are you using ?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 06, 2016
IPVM

Not a lawyer, do not know what the laws are here.

However, there are many references to private entities with massive LPR / license plate databases. They are certainly controversial but the media reports indicate they are legal.

Skip Cusack
Dec 06, 2016

I'm not an attorney (to my mother's everlasting disappointment) but I should think that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public cul-de-sac. But that may not entirely clear the way to use personal data collected in public....

(1)
(1)
CY
Chris Yates
Dec 11, 2016

California passed SB34 in October 2015 which includes an amendment to Civil Code section 1798.82 to address data retention, data security policy requirements as well as security breach notification requirements by even private practitioners of ALPR systems.

[Copy of SB 34, Hill. Automated license plate recognition systems: use of data.]

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 11, 2016
IPVM

Chris, thanks for the informative first comment, welcome!

I've added the link to the bill text to your original comment.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions