Subscriber Discussion

Direct Bay Front Install - Quick Buildup Moisture And Salt On Hik Domes - What Do You Recommend?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 08, 2016

I have a customer that is direct bay front and is having quick buildup of moisture and salt on his hik dome cameras that is making the images unusable at night. 

I understand I should have used bullets to lessen this, but I am just curious how others handle this situation. Should I offer a free swap to the bullets and stock the domes for future install?

I think there were other discussions on this but I couldn't find them.

Thanks

David Johnson
Sep 08, 2016

Domes are particularly susceptible to this because the IR refracts off the buildup - we've had better luck with turrets & bullets that physically separate the camera lens and the IR source. Hik for example. I'd swap out the devices and make a happy customer.

Greg M. Ray
Sep 08, 2016

I feel your pain and in the midst of planning a 32 camera system on the Gulf of Mexico. Conversely not much data on the web except for SS housings that are expensive. I found articles here from 2012 which related to a cruise ship and cleaning a dome. I would like some more information and guessing I should use bullet cameras by reading your post that helps. Any ideas are welcome and or other post.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Sep 08, 2016

You could try a good dome cleaning, then apply couple treatments of Rain-x. This should help particulates migrate down when there is enough moisture present on the dome surface. .... might help some, but don't think it will really solve the issue.

Ari Erenthal
Sep 08, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

In my experience, Rain-X lasts weeks or months on a dome, depending on prevailing weather conditions.

(1)
(1)
Joseph Parker
Sep 08, 2016

We do rainx on most outdoor domes. It helps, but not as much with the salt spray.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Sep 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Clean the dome with a light spraying of WD-40 prior to install, wipe dry. I have used this method for years with much success. Same for removing any kind of old stickers from plastic lenses, never have to scrape.

(2)
Ari Erenthal
Sep 08, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Woah. Mind blown.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 08, 2016

Is this for real? Has anyone else tried this? How long does it last for?

One thing we have recently changed to our sales of camera systems is the maintenance plan. It includes one yearly onsite visit so if anything lasted that long between applications would be good.

Joseph Parker
Sep 08, 2016

Use discrete IR! Shown is example of a unit that still has the same issue but it's not longer hurting us. These cameras all use local storage so changing to bullet cost more than the IR. We also had to deal with vandal concerns.

IR Pic

JH
John Honovich
Sep 08, 2016
IPVM

Joseph, when you say 'discrete IR' do you mean an external IR unit? If so, which one do you use?

Joseph Parker
Sep 08, 2016

I do. This one in particular is a cheap panel array, but I also use the vario ip line. The only issue with these panels is 60 degree dispersion, so most of the time we use 2 which has a big footprint.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 08, 2016
IPVM

use the vario ip line. The only issue with these panels is 60 degree dispersion, so most of the time we use 2

So you spend more on illuminators than you do for the camera? :) I believe it works, it just feels expensive, yes/no?

Joseph Parker
Sep 08, 2016

With the vario, absolutely. They have some uses, but that price tag is daunting. The 2 panel approach plus 4mp dome cost less than a 4mp bullet with onboard storage and give us 350' of range. It's ugly, but man does it work.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions